Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films Empty
PostSubject: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Ok, I'm definitely in the home stretch of getting caught up on all of the current Doctor Who DVD releases. Five more to go (The Aztecs, The War Machines, The Leisure Hive, The Hand of Fear, Battlefield) then I can simply get the new ones as they're released.

However, the completist gene is strong within me, and while I've never seen them, I'm wondering if adding the two Peter Cushing films to the collection is worth it. I suppose I could Netflix them and find out first but I was hoping to get the opinion of more experienced Doctor Who fans than I that have seen them.

I know they're not canon to the overall series, but how do they measure up? Fun? Entertaining? or a waste of time? How does Cushing stack up to the likes of Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee et.al?

Love to hear your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm

I have always enjoyed them. PC's version of the Doctor is quite fun to watch especially in the first one when he is in scenes with 'susie'.

You might want to get the three disc set that also includes the Dalekmania documentary. WHONA has six of these available for $27.95

These are great little films for a cold sunday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm

I agree with Hoosier. I really enjoyed the films, not in the same way as I enjoy the Who Universe,but in a 60's sci fi film sort of way. But where Hoosier called out the first film, I have to admit to being really partial to the second. The comedic moments with Bernard Cribbin's are a real treat.

That said, both are fun. I'm glad that peter Cushing was a not a real Dr though as his character is more of a parody of an old man as he doesn't look old enough to be acting like he is. More of a stage performance. The man is brilliant though and could have been a great Dr but he had to do a Hartnell type character for the films. Still fun though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
Clavius
Clavius

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 6:02 pm

terrasolo wrote:
The comedic moments with Bernard Cribbin's are a real treat.

'Ol Wilf was in it? I didn't know that! Neat!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 6:44 pm

He plays Constable Tom Campbell, the replacement for Ian.
The ending is quite amusing also. That is why I was glad to see him in the show this past season.

Only Roberta Tovey (Susan) and Peter Cushing (Doctor Who) reprise their roles in
:dalek: Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD :dalek:

Also; Bernard Cribbins had a comedy program called Cribbins and Peter Cushing appeared on it as 'The Crib' played Doctor Who in a sketch. Sooooo, you could say he did play Doctor Who! :hitchhiker:

Last edited by Hoosier Whovian on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Peter Cushing is one of my all-time favorite actors, and these movies are great fun. If you can get them at a decent price, do so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:19 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that a lot of the cinematography on the first film was beautiful. There is a shot with the Dr, Susan and the Thals walking out of the woods to the rock face that the Dalek city is on and it's a fantastic wide/tracking shot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
He plays Constable Tom Campbell, the replacement for Ian.
The ending is quite amusing also. That is why I was glad to see him in the show this past season.

Thanks for pointing that out! I have the 3-disc set but haven't watched it for a while.... guess what I'm doing after work tonight?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Now I am going to have to watch them also. And if you watch the Documentary, the mean looking man at the movie theatre is none other than Davros himself - Michael Wisher! :dalek:

Daleks Invasion Earth had one of the first product placement campaigns with Sugar Puffs being prominently displayed.

The movie starts differently on the DVD than originally shown in theatres. It has a teaser with Tom Campbell and as the Tardis dematerializes, the credits come up then it would go back to a scene in the Tardis.
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

PostSubject: Re: The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films   The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Ok, I'm convinced, I'm going to have to pick these up. I mean Peter Cushing as The Doctor should've been a no-brainer for me anyway, but I was curious about the quality of the films themselves.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

So....a CO Cushing as The Doctor figure, what are the chances? Wink
Back to top Go down

The Peter Cushing Doctor Who Films
Page 1 of 1