WhoMA_Joe
Clavius
ozjenny
mattix
greenk9
10 posters

Rate this episode
Fantastic!
'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_lcap13%'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Pretty Good
'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_lcap67%'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_rcap
 67% [ 10 ]
Average
'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_lcap20%'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Disappointing
'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_lcap0%'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Horrible
'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_lcap0%'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead Empty
PostSubject: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Easter Saturday...the planet of the dead trailer is up!
Back to top Go down
mattix
mattix

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 1:43 am

Everyone on Youtube keeps saying it looks like the film pitch black, I've never seen it, but is that a fair comment?

I just rekon it looks sweet!
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 9:00 pm

wow i have had a happy easter already- 5 stars this!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm

lucky you!
Back to top Go down
ozjenny

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 am

Spoilers, I guess:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 4:42 pm

mattix wrote:
Everyone on Youtube keeps saying it looks like the film pitch black, I've never seen it, but is that a fair comment?

Not even a little bit IMO. But a Fun fun fun episode.

Have to disagree with Oz though, I quite dug Lady Christina quite a bit, though given that I have a Y chromosome, I may be a bit biased. Rrrrrowwwwrrrrr. But I'd think it wold be great to see her show up again in another story.

Love how The Doc was introduced in the episode too. (close up on the shoes!)
Back to top Go down
WhoMA_Joe
WhoMA_Joe

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 5:58 pm

thought it was very good- one of the better one IMO
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Just finished watching it. Very good. I lovew it when UNIT shows up.

I remember hearing that all the specials this year are linked in some way. We saw evidence of this at the end, when that women told the Doctor what she did. The first thing she said was exactly what the Ood told him back in Planet of the Ood, that his "song" would soon end. The rest of what she said was creepy too. I can't wait to see all of it play out. And we know how it will all end, this year. Wink :doc10:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 pm

I didnt think it was all that spectacular. Of course, the whole controversy some fan sites made about it being made in Dubai, and all we saw was and dunes. Havent they ever heard of Tunisia?

I wont spoil anything for anyone, but I wondered why they didnt spend a few quid on proper bug suits for the fly people. I mean, really! Cotton boiler suits? That is sooo old school BBC. They go on and on about how they have all this money for it and dont even spend it on new monster suits.

The next special looks better though.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 pm

The Confidential puts a lot of things in perspective. This was the Doctor's last fun adventurous romp before the events leading to this year's conclusion, so they had a little fun with it: The Fly-aliens (an intentional homage to 70s-era scifi), the goofy scientist, and the beautiful jewel thief.

I really liked how UNIT was portrayed in this episode - willing to make the tough military decisions, but not excessively violent or frustrating.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:02 pm

This one was definitely better than the Christmas special (no over the top element like last time). The Fly-aliens at least contributed to the plot (I kept thinking back to the Doctor's Daughter where the bug people were worthless). The one thing I am happy about is that Christina isn't gonna be the companion. I really didn't see much chemistry between her and the Doctor though they did have things in common. Also was nice to see UNIT back. The next story in November looks good.

The Confidential showed just how rough trying to film in Dubai was (at least it was a trip out of Cardiff and the usual quarries).
Back to top Go down
neonlogo
neonlogo

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Watched it Saturday night, thought it was great. I got cold chills at the end with the whole
Spoiler:
SPOOKY!!!
And I shed a wee tear, knowing the end draws near.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/grubgun
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 am

oh oz jenny- the spoiler for primeval...so sad. I think will be even sadder when tennant leaves but I am enjoying it for as long as it lasts.

The mars episode looks properly creepy- i always like the peculiar balance that dw has- comedy, drama, soap, mystery, sci fi...you can't really label the show as sci fi. comedoapmystcifi..
Back to top Go down
Dalek Prototype
Dalek Prototype

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm rating it "Pretty Good" but that might have more to do with the lack of new Who since last year. If "Planet of the Dead" had been mixed into the middle of a regular series it might not have stood out as a superior episode and could have rated just an "Average" score. That's just my two cents. Perhaps my opinion will improve upon a second viewing.

I was a bit disappointed with the resolution between The Doctor and Lady Christina. Somehow it didn't just feel right. It's difficult to explain without giving away too much of the plot. But I suppose they weren't about to link up a new vivacious female companion at this point when Number 10's "demise" is upon the horizon.

Lee Evans' Dr. Malcolm was a bit over done, I think. He was funny at first but his affinity for The Doctor got a bit out of hand as the story went on.

The story was straightforward enough with perhaps just a tad too much dialogue and not quite enough story in the middle third.

My only real question is why did everybody just have one shadow on a planet with three suns? They managed two shadows in a dark library, didn't they? Even if the three suns were just a throwaway plot point, they should have paid more attention to it.

With all the spectacular effects and action sequences, I still think my favorite bit of the show was the interaction and dialog between the Doctor and the poor guy who thought he had a gold watch. Laughing

PS - The folks at Character Options will miss out on a great boxed set of figures if they don't release a "Planet of the Dead" collection: Christina, Capt. Magambo, Dr. Taylor, Tritovore, Doctor in Sunglasses. Perhaps a BAF of one of the swarming metal rays?
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 pm

dproto- yeah I agree- character o really should have unit figs...oh I still so want some unit guys and gals classic and new.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Corporal Bell would be cool!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead   '09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 am

I think they put too much camp into it. Way too much flying bus and Malcolm worshipping the Doctor. You can have those elements in there, but they shoud be used sparingly. it just cheapened the episode for no reason.
For a special, I was expecting a meatier plot.
I enjoyed Lady Christina, the fly aliens, and the metal mantas.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

'09 Easter Special: Planet of the Dead
Page 1 of 1