46% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Where to Watch Doctor Who Empty
PostSubject: Where to Watch Doctor Who   Where to Watch Doctor Who EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 am

I'm starting this thread as a place to post info on legit methods of watching Doctor Who. Please keep in mind that this is not the place to post youtube links, dailymotion, or torrent links. Regardless of your personal feelings on the matter, this is a WhoNA forum and it's best (for all of us) that they stay in the BBC's good graces.

Netflix
Probably the best place to get your Who fix. Their DVD catalogue has most of the BBC releases and they are usually available without any wait. Update: My streaming queue has marked all my BBC material as expiring on April 1st! I don't know what will happen after that point, but I'll post again as soon as I find out.

Netflix also offers a free streaming service for members which can be viewed on your computer or TV (using a xbox360, a $99 set top box, or some blu-ray players)

Netflix plans start as lox as $4.99 a month (although you'll want the $8.99 plan for streaming).

iTunes
BBC America has released a limited selection of new and classic Who on Apple's iTunes store. These can be played on your computer, iPod, or TV via an AppleTV, iPod video-out cable, or by running a cable from your computer to your TV. Be advised - iTunes charges by the episode, not the story ($1.99 each).

Amazon VOD
Amazon has a selection of Who which can be rented for $1.99 an episode. It's a crappy deal and you don't even get to keep the file. I'm not even sure why they bother. The upside is that newer Tivos can tie into the service.

BBC iPlayer
Lets you watch any episode that has been played on the BBC lately - only available in the UK though.

Public Library
Ok, so you have to get off the couch for this one. Many libraries have sizable DVD collections (at least the bigger ones). Thanks to Doctor Who's traditional ties to PBS, this can sometimes be a great resource for getting ahold of older episodes.

That's all I'm aware of off the top of my head. There are new online streaming companies popping up all over, though, and the BBC seems willing to play along.... please let us know if you find anything that should be added to the list.

Last edited by CJSchmidt on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where to Watch Doctor Who   Where to Watch Doctor Who EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Netflix is my source. I also have a few episode still surviving from my recordings made off the air from WILL-TV PBS station in Illinois. I transfered some favorites to DVD a few years ago, but they are not good quality. But right now, it is the only copy of War Games I can get! Most of the others have been or are about to be released on DVD.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Where to Watch Doctor Who   Where to Watch Doctor Who EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I buy the DVDs, but I use Netflix to watch the ones I don't yet own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Where to Watch Doctor Who   Where to Watch Doctor Who EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 am

These days it's on DVD. In the olden days it was PBS (I tried watching in when it came on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago but the commercial breaks just ruined it for me).
Back to top Go down

Where to Watch Doctor Who
Page 1 of 1