CJSchmidt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

New Tardis for 2010... Empty
PostSubject: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm

BBC has given Moffat the go-ahead to remodel the Tardis for the "Matt Smith Era". The Tardis exterior will be rebuilt in higher quality (same blue police box though) but the interior will get a complete "hitech" redesign.

This had to be done in some fashion for the shows move to HD in 2010.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/03/02/doctor-who-exclusive-tardis-to-be-redesigned-for-arrival-of-new-time-lord-matt-smith-115875-21164417/

I'm not sure I'm ready to see coral go yet... sad.
Back to top Go down
exilea
exilea

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Are we sure this news is official?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 pm

I hope he doesnt go for a seventies bean bag retro look. afro flower "far out man"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

I wonder if this means that CO will produce a new TARDIS playset designed on the new look?
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4926350/Dr-Who-Tardis-to-get-interior-makeover.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?Doctor_Who_has_Tardis_makeover&in_article_id=564113&in_page_id=7&in_a_source=

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/a148260/tardis-to-get-a-full-redesign.html

If it isn't true, it's sure making the rounds. The articles don't sound like the typical rumor-mill stuff to me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 4:59 pm

The Mirror is a tabloid, and shouldn't be trusted as the sole source for anything. But anyway, it's been known that they are building a new TARDIS set for months, ever since it was announced the show was going HD (they have to rebuild the set for the change to HD, you see). So on that point the Mirror isn't reporting anything that wasn't already publicly known.

CJSchmidt wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4926350/Dr-Who-Tardis-to-get-interior-makeover.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?Doctor_Who_has_Tardis_makeover&in_article_id=564113&in_page_id=7&in_a_source=

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/a148260/tardis-to-get-a-full-redesign.html

If it isn't true, it's sure making the rounds. The articles don't sound like the typical rumor-mill stuff to me.

All three of those articles are just quoting the Mirror.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm looking forward to a new set- actually I really think this is not a rumour- I believe the series in general is being given a total reboot so I think it is logical that they would change the set.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 pm

let's call it an upgrade, reboot is what they are doing to star trek and I will go into Nostradamus mode and say that reboot is going to fail.

This is more like a War Games/Spearhead from Space changeover. From flat black and white to vivid color. flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 5:17 pm

I'd be very surprised if DW was getting a full-on reboot...there's no reason for it, as the new series has proven successful at mining the property's rich history without being hamstrung by it. The usual reasons for a reboot (diminishing viewership, burdensome continuity, public apathy, etc.) simply aren't there.

We've seen TARDIS redesigns before, and I'm sure we'll see a few more before the series runs its course. I for one would like to see something a bit "steampunk" like the control room in the much-maligned TV movie...that console was the best thing about the film!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 pm

I don't get this really. First the new Doc (still not feeling him yet), we are still waiting for the new companion to be picked (not thrilled from the potentials so far rumoured) and now a new TARDIS interior. The show has been a rating hit and it just seems like too much change is coming all at once. I wonder what else they'll do - redo the log again and stick 11's mug on it.

I don't get what filming in HD has to do with dumping the current TARDIS set which I enjoy a lot. No. 4's antique look was also nice as was No. 8's from the movie.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 pm

HD enters into the must-change equation because the current set wasn't designed to hold up to the level of clarity that HD cameras and TVs have...if you watch on an HD television now, you can already see flaws aplenty in the set. With HD cameras in the mix, it would look even worse.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I remember a few times in the new series that they mentioned that the steel chicken wire floors were quite noisy when walked over. It would be interesting if they did a 360 and made the tardis like Kronotis' "tardis" from Shada- a posh professorial room...or very apple/wal-e looking desktop pattern. I do miss the old school roundrels....
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 pm

how many redesigns have they done in the past? i always used to be afraid when i saw a redesign in an episode, because i always thought that was a forebearing of the doctor regenerating. face it, he changes, the tardis changes. i just don't know about this "hi-tech" look they are going for. i didn't think i'd like coral, but it has grown on me. my favorite was the davison era, that pretty much stretched into the mccoy era.

i know it's old and corny, but i loved the old design. as long as the new interior has the roundels(the coral ones didn't fly with me), and a six sided console(the coral one is more rounded, and the roundels have six sides?), they've got something right.

just as long as the inside doesn't look like the inside of a coffin and his companions are a vampire and a werewolf, they'll maybe escape this comparison with twilight.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

My visual accuity isn't so terrific that I know for sure how many subtle TARDIS changes there have been, but off the top of my head...

The original control room
The brief, abortive redesign during the Pertwee era
The wood-paneled secondary control room
The 1980s control room
The 1996 movie control room
"Coral"
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 11:19 pm

i want to throw something out there, and see what everyone else thinks. although i have already said that my favorite era was the davison-mccoy design, looking back at all the different designs, i think the hartnell was the most "hi-tech" looking(at least for it's time).

it's stark black and white, with deep roundels in the wall. the console, and even room it was in, seemed more like a laboratory to me than any of the other versions. i would like something like that, simple, cold, and scientific. maybe not black and white, but not as colorfull as corral, or the tv movie(even though i did like the tv movie set). i'm also not a fan of the console motor connecting to the ceiling, and hope they go "old school" and just have it rotate up and down.
Back to top Go down
mattix
mattix

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 6:53 am

Shame, i like the coral display settings!

Id like to the classic 1970's version to come back in!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: New Tardis for 2010...   New Tardis for 2010... EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 9:05 pm

maybe well get to buy a new tardis console!!!
Back to top Go down

New Tardis for 2010...
Page 1 of 1