10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Your Video/DVD Collection Empty
PostSubject: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Just curious as to the quantity and content of everyone's Who video collection. Purchased? Recorded?

I've been working hard for a few years now to acquire all of the DVD's currently released. I only have a handful left to go. BBC seems to release 2-3 episodes every 2 months or so, and I just want to be able to snag them as they're released.

Also, I tend to worry about some silly legal issue causing a particular episode to go out of print. Hasn't happened yet but you Mystery Science Theater DVD collectors know what I'm talking about.

So far I still need:
Planet of Evil, Hand of Fear, The Visitation, Carnival of Monsters, Seeds of Death, The Aztecs, The Leisure Hive, The Time Meddler and the Lost in Time collection.

The War Machines and Four to Doomsday come out on 1/06 and the Key to Time box set comes out on 03/03. (I have the previous Key to Time release, but the new one contains all the extra goodies on the UK version that us US fans were originally denied)

I've got a handful on VHS I recorded from PBS way back when. Mostly McCoy eps. (Silver Nemesis, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Paradise Towers and Dragonfire)

Last edited by Clavius on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 pm

I am only starting my small collection as it's going to only be serials that I really enjoyed. At this point, I only own Robots of Death. Laughing As of now, I intend to get Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons (when it comes out), The Invasion, The Aztecs, and The Two Doctors.

It doesn't help at all that the New York Public Library and the Queens Library have DW DVDs (looks at the four serials he borrowed). Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I have the DVD collection, as well as DVD dubs of the tapes a friend made for me. I also have More Than 30 years in the Tardis on tape, that is one I would like to see on DVD with maybe other behind the scenes specials included.

I dontated a lot of my pre recorded VHS's to the local library.

The only ones I dont have are series three and four of the current version. For some reason I dont feel the need to run out and get them. To me, the second series was the best so far.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:19 pm

when our pbs station was cancelling the classic who run, I got wind of the news early enough and bought some high quality vhs tapes...taped from hartnell to mccoy. So many have never made it to dvd like the mind of evil (bw), invasion of the dinosaurs, etc. so I was glad I did this.... The quality of the tapes have not diminished much because I keep them in a room that is cool and not too much sun. Nonetheless I have replaced many with the dvd's mainly because of the extras and the sheer laziness of not rewinding. The other fun extra tapes I have are the Doctor Years Tapes which highlight the surving episodes from hartnell and troughton- and bought the audios for the missing episodes to fill in the gaps. I also have series 1-4- expensive but well worth it!
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I've got all the DVDs released in the US (Dr Who new and old, Torchwood, and SJA)

as well as all the episode VHS released (minus those that I now have on DVD, I have gifted the VHS copy to a friend)

I've got a few documentaries on DVD and all of the "Years" VHS as well. Been meaning to transfer them to DVD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I basically have all the DW, Torchwood, SJA DVDs that have been released (classic and new) as well as all the episodes that ever made it to the states on taped VHS (which were transferred to DVD when the machines were cheap enough to buy). I had held onto my original Five Doctors until recently since the VHS releases kept on dishing out 'improved SFX' when I liked the original version the best. I also have one documentary that was done by our local PBS station. Now, whenever a classic is released, I get rid of the old copy. I only wish tape recorders were available back then so we could have all the missing Hartnell/Troughton episodes now.
Back to top Go down
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:19 am

Tomb of the Cybermen, The Invasion, The Time Warrior, Robot, Pyramids of Mars, Horror of fang rock, seasons 1-3, and the dalek invasion of earth peter cushing!

Last edited by forbidden_moose on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 am

forbidden_moose wrote:
The Invasion, The Time Warrior, Robot, Pyramids of Mars, Horror of fang rock, seasons 1-3, and the dalek invasion of earth peter cushing!

Oh yeah, I've got the Cushing films too, on DVD.

The PBS documentary reminded me of a UK Documentary that I have as well, can't remember the name, but I know it has "Thoughts of an Anorak" and it was just an Anorak talking to you about what you needed to know about Doctor Who. Basic, but fun. that and I have the BBC "A night with Doctor Who" from 1999.

Also forgot the UK DVD of the TVM which I ripped into AVI files so that I can watch it properly.
Back to top Go down
captkirk42
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 2:55 am

Min is sadly lacking of the Classic Series I've only got the first Release of The Five Doctors (I also have a VHS version of it because the original DVD only has the updated for the DVD special effects and I like some of the original effects especailly the bit at the end where all the Tardis's (Tardie?) go off in different directions.)

I have a few of the VHS including Shada but that version of T5D is my only DVD of the Classics. I plan on double dipping to get the Anniversary version since I hear there are updated comments or featurettes that are not on the original version of the DVD.

Back to DVD. I have all 4 Seasons of the current series (2005-present) I recently got the last few so I haven't watched my DVDs of those later seasons yet. Odd because David Tennant became my fave Doctor somewhere around series 2 or 3.

One thing that bums me out is onetime my PBS station (years ago) had Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred as guests during a pledge drive week and I had taped the interview/promo bits with them. Sadly though I had loaned that tape to some friends and when I asked about the tape some months later they couldn't find it. I don't think I had properly labeled it so they probably taped over it. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://klandersen.com
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 1:55 pm

I have all DVDs released to this date.
I did skip the re-release of the Five Doctors. Trying to keep out of the re-buying habit unless something really really special.

I also have all other complete stories either purchased on tape when released, or recorded off of air when it was on my local PBS stations.
From the days when I did trading I also have a lot of remnants from incomplete stories, and some behind the scenes material.

But with the DVDs coming out with all those extras, that rare material is becoming easily found. I have been replacing my VHS tapes as the DVDs become available.

Does anyone here collect the BBC audio releases of stories?
I only purchased the audio releases of the incomplete stores. So between those releases, and the various pieces of video material from the missing stories, it gives a great idea of what those missing or incomplete adventures of Hartnell and Troughton were like.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 2:04 pm

cinnur wrote:

Does anyone here collect the BBC audio releases of stories?
I only purchased the audio releases of the incomplete stores. So between those releases, and the various pieces of video material from the missing stories, it gives a great idea of what those missing or incomplete adventures of Hartnell and Troughton were like.

Yeah I believe I have them all. They are great to listen too in the car ride into work (just like the BF plays) and it's also great to be able to "see" all of the stories. I know it is extremely sad to be missing any Who stories, but some of these really make me even more sad after I heard them. I just hope some way, some how some of these stories can be found.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:31 pm

I love the audios too- my fav is The a. snowmen and the Highlanders- such a loss if you hear the audios. I still hold out hopes that they will one day animated\ the audios like they did with the invasion.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 12:44 am

My personal favorite is "The Enemy of the World" Always love a good Pat Troughton story and this one is great. And there is even a surviving episode to get the faces in my head.

The Highlanders is one of the last 2 or 3 left that I have to hear still as I just got them. but I did try to watch a recon that i bought at a convention years ago and that put me right out. but that was because of the recon nature, not the story I am sure.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 am

I will be adding Four to Doomsday and War Machines to my collection this week, thanks to a friend. Yippee!
Back to top Go down
captkirk42
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 5:04 pm

I put an order into Columbia House DVD club and amongst my titles ordered are:
Pyramids of Mars (It's about bloody time I got this one, my all time fave)
The Three Doctors
The Two Doctors

Next up I think I'll double dip and look for the Anniversary edition of The Five Doctors I already have the regular version, and I think the Anniversary version has a few extra extras.
Back to top Go down
http://klandersen.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm

The new version of the Five Doctors is EXCELLENT!

If you ever want to see what a PBS pledge drive looks like, there is a disk of moments from one by Channel 11 WTTW.

I had a tape of the evening duped by a friend. It shows me when I was in High School answering phones with other fans. Great Fun!
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 am

I saw The 5 Doctors at Best Buy, and thought, hmmm, I can ask for this for my birthday!
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Rememberance of the Daleks (SE)   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 pm

This double dip has been in the pipeline for quite a while, anyone heard any news about it...

Rememberance of the Daleks (Special Edition)

I have the original edition and i'm wondering if it'll be worth it when it finally does come out?
Back to top Go down
Tuf
Tuf

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Clavius wrote:
This double dip has been in the pipeline for quite a while, anyone heard any news about it...

Rememberance of the Daleks (Special Edition)

I have the original edition and i'm wondering if it'll be worth it when it finally does come out?

I'm 99% sure that was cancelled. But you never know they might decide to put it on the schedule again down the road.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 pm

A lot of people were upset about the entire Davros boxset.

Who knows, they might release it in a double pack like they did with the VHS with The Chase. scratch
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Wasn't there something about the bloody music rights or clearance issues for Remembrance that called for the boxset to be scrapped. We'll just have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 7:17 pm

They just did what they did with Revelation and removed the relevant tracks, they then put other ones in their place. It does kinda suck that happens.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm

the one thorn in my collection is that I have the happiness patrol- I do try to forget that one. I still have to get the second 60's dalek in full coulour (tee hee) movie. I would love to see what Donna's gramps looked like as a young lad. I saw the movie about 13 years ago so memory is rather foggy. I have the mind robber on vhs- but being one of my favorite stories- I will get this one on dvd.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Cribs is GREAT in Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD! The DVD is pretty good for Mind Robber. But as one reviewer commented. "The fuzzy vhs lets you believe they are in a white void, whereas the VidFire edition destroys the illusion." He does have a point, but I do like the Vidfired versions.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Your Video/DVD Collection   Your Video/DVD Collection EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

yeah the graininess of vhs tapes help the atmosphere to the black and whites. I really did like how they did the invasion dvd with the missing eps as animation...sure wish they could do more- they have alot of audios on the missing eps so I don't see why they can't do this....
Back to top Go down

Your Video/DVD Collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next