Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! Empty
PostSubject: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 2:01 am

My club, The Guardians of Gallifrey, PAID to bring him to a... gathering for Hurricane WHO this November (a lot of money for a plane ticket), though not involved in the actual running of the event.

Opinions? I would appreciate your thoughts about this, as it seems like a no brainer (from the club officers) to use club funds to help out someone who is charging MORE for this bash (now in a pub instead of a convention center).

www.hurricanewho.com/

Last edited by amagon on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ontheline
Ontheline

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 5:11 am

As someone who knows more about this situation than you do... I can only post a few questions??

The GoG are flying him in... who is paying for the hotel, etc??

If you are really a member of this Non-Profit Organization.. is it really a mature and reasonable thing to be discussing the financial transactions of the organization and question the judgement of the club officers??

As someone who paid my $20 to attend this event.. I am whole heartedly looking forward to it. I am actually glad for the smaller venue.. It means I can chow down while I am there....

OTL
Back to top Go down
IceyLyn
IceyLyn

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 5:37 am

I think one would have to be very careful exposing the financials of a not for profit organization, regardless of your association.

I have also paid the $20, for myself, my husband and daughter to attend this event. I think this will be a great opportunity to meet a real hero. And luckily I live in Orlando and will be able to attend the further events that are sponsored fully by the Hurricane Who entities.
Back to top Go down
jmgatsby

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:04 am

Hi all, I am on the committee for Hurricane Who and I wanted to clear up one issue. The November Hurricane Party was never going to be held in a convention space. The plan was to secure a suite at the hotel where next year's convention will be. We moved to the pub but never sacrificed the amount of space we would have.

As for monetary transactions, that is between you and your club and should be addressed directly to them.

Cheers all, looking forward to meeting you at our events!

- Janet, Website Administrator at Hurricane Who

P.S. - Check out our new blog for news, updates, and podcasts about Hurricane Who events. http://hurricanewho.wordpress.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.hurricanewho.com
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Ontheline wrote:
As someone who knows more about this situation than you do... I can only post a few questions??

The GoG are flying him in... who is paying for the hotel, etc??

If you are really a member of this Non-Profit Organization.. is it really a mature and reasonable thing to be discussing the financial transactions of the organization and question the judgement of the club officers??

As someone who paid my $20 to attend this event.. I am whole heartedly looking forward to it. I am actually glad for the smaller venue.. It means I can chow down while I am there....

OTL

And for someone who doesn't want to reveal themselves is REALLY mature as well.

My main concern (before other members inquiring about other things), was will the club be compensated for the funds paid for this person, and the club is not a "cash cow".

I went over the top, should not have disclosed any numbers (since erased), but do NOT try to confront me and hide under an anonymous name here!

And do I question the judgement of the officers? YES. When I find out the club charter information and more legalese from a close friend, I will post that on the club newsgroup and not here or anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
IceyLyn
IceyLyn

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:29 am

Hmmm, I am not sure what you are implying when you say that OntheLine is hiding, but I do know who he is and well as you can see we ALL have screennames.

OntheLine is a fine gentleman, who is generous and kind and very loyal, and he will be flying out here to be at the Anniversary Celebration from Los Angeles, and he does know Jarrod and I personally.

If you have an issue with the officers of the club to which you belong, wouldn't you bring this grievance up with the officers? I know that if I had a question or needed clarification about a policy or the action of a Hurricane Who boardmember I would speak to them directly, whether that be on the phone or in person.

You could always sign up on the waiting list in hopes that someone will cancel their attendance.

This is just my opinion, of course.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 11:23 am

Wow this is a train wreck of a thread. Noticing the join dates of the last three posters, my point will be quick. Amagon was merely asking for opinions on a matter he is dealing with in his life, and posed a query to his fellow posters here at WHONA, whom he's discussed several things with since joining.

Amagon...not sure of the exact question you were asking, but I would pose the question of whether your group was listed as a contributor to this event or given any public credit for helping to bring the man to it. If so, good for your group it was well worth any funds used to help this event get pulled off. If not, then what was their motiviation in the first place? Just to help out or to be recognized for doing so?
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!   Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando! EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 11:52 pm

This is what you get for listening to someone who was very angry, and she was!!!

The club always intended to bring someone big (as Sophie Aldred came years ago, as her friend is a founding member), and essentially it didn't bother me, BUT, when my friend started to tell me this and that, increase in price, and so forth, it got out of control.

I don't remember the email sent to me, but sometime after, they said something to the effect of being sponsors or something, but again, my friend was upset, and when you add fuel to the fire.....

My main concern (as it has been, and this just brought it back), was my club is sooooo stuck in the 20th century (paying for newsletters in the mail and memberships for what reason anymore), and since it's posted every month in the newsletter of how much the club has, and with the economy in such a state of disarray, I don't want to see it drained or be used as a cash cow, kinda thing.

I give credit where credit is due, but with all the hype and circumstance, I stick by my friends' opinions, and from what she tells me (and her research on everything said and promised).

I appreciate your reply, as we've been here for a long while, and I never got angry or disrepectful to anyone on here before. This is where I go to everyday, enjoy the company, and so forth. But now, it's over and done with, and hope things go forward smoothly (on all points).
Back to top Go down

Terrance Dicks coming to Orlando!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: