27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Worst Companion! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 am

DrWhovian10 wrote:
Donna

SACRILIGE! I think Donna was the best! She kept the doctor on his toes and really developed as a character. Hated how she ended up in the end of series 4.

For me, the worst character was Dodo, she just left the doctor mid story and didn't even say good bye. That's gratitude for you!
Back to top Go down
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Least Favorite   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:04 pm

I used to not think much of Tegan, now I find her...endearing. Goes to show that opinions can change over time.

I started to say Mel...but she was so perfect for the late 80s era.

Then I thought about Romana II. I never did understand people's fascination with her. Romana I was much much better.

So if I had to choose least favorite between Mel and Romana II...it would probably be Romana II.
Back to top Go down
DacaZ
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:33 pm

I didn't mind Rose so much on screen, so I won't choose her as worst, but as a person her character was pretty horrid, particularly with the way she treated poor, loyal Mickey. She was a real scumbag.

I honestly think the only reason she meant so much to the Doc was because she happened to be there at the right time. He needed his "humanity" back after the Time War and she helped to put things in perspective. Probably any tart of a shop keeper would have got the job done.

Peri wasn't bad. She was really nice to look at, particularly since I think she wore the tightest clothes of any companion. Her American accent was painful to listen to, but something about her character seemed genuine.

I won't say Grace, because she just wasn't given enough time to be fair with. There were things I liked about her.

So... yeah... Mel. She was an assault on the eyes and ears. And while I realize she was already settled in to time traveling when we first met her, she seemed far too at ease with the it all to be genuine.

Last edited by DacaZ on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.figurefanzero.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 pm

I won't say she's the worst companion, but I can not listen to Big Finish audios with Peri. I find her painfully whiney and annoying, to the point where I get physically agitated.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Canon   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:18 pm

DacaZ wrote:
I won't say Grace, because she just wasn't given enough time to be fair with. There were things I liked about her.
Speaking of Grace, is there already a thread on 8th Doctor not being canon? I want to go on a rant about how I never recognized the movie as being legitimate Who. The fact that McCoy was in it doesn't convince me either. I wish someone would make an official ruling on it and dismiss it (and all the related audio adventures).

Since I'm ranting, was I the only one who didn't like the Simms Master? He was so hokey, jumping around and acting like a schoolboy. The original Master (Delgado/Ainley) was so much more refined. Back then, it was as if the Master and the Doctor were two equally matched chess players, trying to out think one another. This new Master is not at all like the original, so he is out of character.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:29 pm

There's pretty much no doubt the 8th Doctor is canonical. He appears on every list of Doctors prepared by the BBC for every book and documentary on the subject. He's clearly identified on the BBC website as part of the sequence, and his one TV appearance is part of the DVD series; the only reason it hasn't been released on DVD in the US is due to distribution rights and conflicting legal interests. There's no thread regarding the 8th Doctor's canonicity because there is no reason to doubt that canonicity, and every reason to acknowledge it.

As far as the audio adventures, the canonicity of all audio adventures (no matter which Doctor stars in the adventure in question) has never been fully defined. It's irrelevant, though...the 8th Doctor is canon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
DacaZ
DacaZ

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:30 pm

McGann appeared in two episodes... once as an illustration in The Journal of Impossible Things and next as an image in the Cyberman data recorder in The Next Doctor.

That, as far as I'm concerned, seals the deal. He's canon.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:37 pm

DacaZ wrote:
That, as far as I'm concerned, seals the deal. He's canon.

Nooooooooooo....
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 4:29 am

i really liked simms master. he brought a real calm insanity to the part i frankly always wanted to see. i love the originals and i thought he wasnt much different. i love the way russell threw in him watching childrens television as and homage to delgado when he is in the jail cell watching childrens programs. just my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 4:34 am

on the subject of cannon i found this paul cornell statement very fasinating and painfully long but really good.
http://www.paulcornell.com/2007/02/canonicity-in-doctor-who.html
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 4:53 am

Tegan was easily my least favorite companion, with Donna coming in as a not-so-close-but-not-terribly-distant second. Peri and Mel were far too cute to make my list, and Adric -- while at times annoying -- died like a champion and took the dinosaurs with him. If that's not hardcore, I don't know what is.

DacaZ wrote:
I didn't mind Rose so much on screen, so I won't choose her as worst, but as a person her character was pretty horrid, particularly with the way she treated poor, loyal Mickey. She was a real scumbag.
The Doctor was way worse to Martha, though. First there was that "one more trip" business, and then he basically made her a slave for however long (and consider the implications there) just so he could be "merciful" to a murderous gang of aliens that he later defeated by standing over them and glowering. And on top of consistently treating Martha like absolute dirt -- to add extreme insult to injury -- he concocted a world-saving plan that hinged upon her traveling the globe while not only telling everyone how great he is, but also urging them to pray to him! The Doctor is a jerk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
DacaZ
DacaZ

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 10:54 am

This is true and its a glimmer of what Dalek Caan and Davros were talking about in Journey's End. The way he forges weapons out of his companions.

But as for treating her like dirt, I think a prime example of what you're talking about was in The Shakespeare Code when they were lying in the bed together... Wow... that was just plain cold.

Still, I give him more of a pass, I guess, because he is an alien.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
Tegan was easily my least favorite companion
Oh, c'mon, please change your mind about this. Go back and watch some of her episodes. She's...really nice.

Note that I'm really trying to refrain from saying gushy fan things about her. It's difficult. Please don't make me defend her.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm

cmon guy shes just a struggling independent woman trying to get to heathrow airport caught up in the craziest whirlwind of her life.
i never really had a problem with an assistant when i was a child because i guess i was more into the doctor and the story but now that im an adult i must say mark strickson has always aggrevated me. i have never really been able to get into mcoy or his assistants to me i almost want to end on carrot juice and pretend eccleston is really the seventh doctor. now having said that i have been told by many wonderfull fans that mcoy and mcgan do a great job in the audios and that mcgan really came into his own through this medium. maybe someday when i can afford to keep up with the toys and dvds i can apreciate the audio adventures. i picked up a peter davidson one and it was alright.
Back to top Go down
Whovian

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I just re-watched Kinda and Snakedance. Tegan is really creepy when she gets possessed. I think that was some of her best acting. Ah the Tegan years!
Back to top Go down
eaglekiller
eaglekiller

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 pm

I didn't mind Peri myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theraggmopps.com
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 pm

My vote goes to Adric. Stuck up, petulant, whiny... he had it all.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Hands down, Mel. She had nothing to contribute to the proceedings. Supposedly a computer expert. Never see it. Just a squeaky annoying voice and an ear-piercing scream - -which she did - often. Oh, and I hate carrot juice! Thank God for Ace to make me forget about her.
Back to top Go down
jdwpin
jdwpin

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Worst Companion!   Worst Companion! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 pm

My vote goes for Mel - for the useless whiny reasons given above.

I feel I have to defend Adric - I loved him mostly because he was a kid like me! Every other companion that I knew about at the time was an adult - Turlough was supposed to be a kid, but always looked like an adult to me. I wanted to date Adric and most of my male friends wanted to be him. We could relate to him in ways we simply couldn't anyone else.
Back to top Go down

Worst Companion!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2