LakeErieMonster
Who North America
amagon
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Do 'exclusives' exclude? Empty
PostSubject: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 11:19 pm

This was a topic that was discussed last year when the chocolate dalek and broken cyberman were released as SDCC exclusives.

Last year the retailers werent going to be getting them at all, remember that?
This years SDCC figures :doc9: , :doc5: - :doc10: seem to be a lot easier to get a hand on.

With talk of another retailer exclusive :doc4: supposedly being released sometime this year, do you think this will keep some people from being able to get them? As well as whomever the retailer is may consider price gouging it? Suspect

I am not a fan of 'exclusives' because they do exclude some people.

The Woolworths tweaked wave is one of those that us americans are unable to easily buy.
Last years SDCC pair excluded the British. And even though we are two different countries and we had that little spat in the late 1700's Rolling Eyes I feel the British are like family. queen I am going to be doing what I can to get the SDCC figures for friends in England and they have done the same for me for other items. In a way this does help form friendships amongst fans, but it also drives people crazy bounce trying to keep up.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:08 am

I agree! I dispise all exclusives, as it makes us go to a retailer we normally don't, or they make the exclusives hard to get (ex. Star Wars. For the new figure lines coming out this Saturday, there will be all these places with their own exclusives, and sometimes, they don't order enough. The internet stores charge more, and even through Previews, which I saw the exclusive TIE Fighter, the comic book stores charge whatever they want).

My one friend in England doesn't get me anything, 'cause she has to bring her kids along, and so no toys for me!
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:11 am

We despise exclusives, unless they are offered in a broad sense of the word...
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 am

Many retailers (toysrus and target) come to mind) offer exclusives not to please the masses but rather as a marketing gimic. Hey we have exclusives so don't by your stuff at that big box(W) retailer but come here instead, and while your here grab some of this other stuff*. TRU will be pack at midnight for this very reason. It's fun an exciting for some, involves people who wouldn't normally be interested, great for PR, the best bet is to try to not let it bother you unless your a completeist........that being said I do not need to be at TRU....I don't really........I........I won't be able to help myself.

* Similar to Turkey day gimics "46" tv for $99.99"**

**1000 chain wide, 1 per store minimum
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 am

If it was Wal-Mart, I would go for The Star Wars stuff (waiting INSIDE, air-conditioned, safer than waiting outside, etc.)

I'll go on Saturday (and my friend in Orlando), to see if I can get their exclusive, then Wal-Mart, then Target....
Back to top Go down
Tuf
Tuf

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:14 am

Not a big fan of the exclusives either. In 1997 Star Wars put a Luke Skywalker figure out that was exclusive to Movie Theaters. I went to the the movies hoping to get the figure, of course it was sold out. After the movie I went to the hobby store across the street from the theater. They had the figure there for $120.00, long story short, I never bought another Star Wars figure again.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 am

Exclusives are annoying. They can be a mixed bag - sometimes you get a figure you might not get otherwise but more often than not the only people who win are the scalpers and the companies who get a little press if it's popular. Of course, it can backfire for companies if enough people get annoyed at not being able to get them.

For Who, I'm glad we had the Time Crash set because we might not have gotten a celeried 5th Doctor. It's not as important to me as some, but I'm glad I can get that variant (and I'm also excited about the dark shirt 10th Doctor too, funnily enough.)

But there certainly have been some that left me sore. I collected Masters of the Universe when the new line came out and got most of them. But then Mattel released two exclusives - King Randor and Keldor at different years at Comic Con. I never did get those. I eventually sold my collection (and don't really mind) but it really did annoy me at the time. Especially since they were unique characters and not just repaints.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 am

Tuf wrote:
Not a big fan of the exclusives either. In 1997 Star Wars put a Luke Skywalker figure out that was exclusive to Movie Theaters. I went to the the movies hoping to get the figure, of course it was sold out. After the movie I went to the hobby store across the street from the theater. They had the figure there for $120.00, long story short, I never bought another Star Wars figure again.

I remember that. It was a regular Jedi Luke on a "special" green card. One woman said she bought the kids one from the store, so they wouldn't open this one (she had hers and others with her).

They could have at least released the one with the tan vest error on the card, but then again, it would have been double the price.

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 pm

I was miffed about the mossman,faker, and shera exclusives that killed my new MOTU collection well that and the general difficulty of getting anyone but he-man.

By the way congrats all who purchased the DW TC set! Low on money here and my son wanted SJS figures instead he really loves that show.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Exclusives can be a toss-up. A lot of the figures I'm interested in are really hard to find at retail nowadays. Exclusives are sometimes easier to find because i know exactly which store to head to and they usually get just cases of them. On the other hand when the exclusives are really popular and the stores unorder it's real frustrating. It's like going into a cheese shop that has no cheese to sell.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Or a pet shop to complain about a dead parrot scratch Hopes SOMEONE gets that reference
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 am

LakeErieMonster wrote:
I was miffed about the mossman,faker, and shera exclusives that killed my new MOTU collection well that and the general difficulty of getting anyone but he-man.

By the way congrats all who purchased the DW TC set! Low on money here and my son wanted SJS figures instead he really loves that show.

I had all of those He-man figures! I lucked out on those. I sort of wish I hadn't sold them all in a big lot. I didn't really get enough for them. Sigh. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:29 am

currently they are on my endangered species list as my who toys/books are quickly needing the shelf space. There might be a box in their future : (
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 am

Well, now they are releasing the Classics, and I am tempted. He-man and Beastman look cool. But at $20/piece I just don't know if I can do it. Between Doctor Who and Marvel Legends I feel like I spend enough on toys as it is.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 5:25 am

As nearly everyone who has commented on this topic, I'm also not a big fan of exclusives, although the Woolies ones were quite good, but I can see the difficulty for people in America to get the 'tweaked' range because there is only really eBay to buy these, and in some cases eBay is annoying because some people on there just like to scam people (I was one of the scammed people: a story for another time!) Anyway, its a pain in the backside for me and others from the UK to get the SDCC exclusives, since its in San Diego and many shops don't go to the trouble to try and ship the exclusives over here. I am desperate to get the 'Time Crash' two-pack but unfortunately I can't.
I am really fed up about the exclusives, why can't they just release them for SDCC and then release them worldwide a months later? I suppose then you couldn't call them exclusives but it isn't fair for people who can't get a hold of the figures, since some people would have to get them shipped over seas, and such and its too much time and money and in the end it's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Or a pet shop to complain about a dead parrot scratch Hopes SOMEONE gets that reference

"He's resting".

I did this on stage back in high school!

lol! cheers alien Twisted Evil Razz geek
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 7:06 pm

"He's pining for the fjords!" jocolor
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:

"Pining for the fjords!!!!!!!!! What kind of crazy talk is that!" king
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 pm

amagon wrote:
Hoosier Whovian wrote:

"Pining for the fjords!!!!!!!!! What kind of crazy talk is that!" king

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Got any other Python faves?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Well bowled sir! I was wondering if anyone would do the whole piece

And now for something completely different..........
"Crunchy Frog?" alien
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 pm

I like my... comfy chair!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:53 pm

CO doesn't really get the concept of exclusive. They'll put an exclusive figure in a set with a bunch of rereleases. Then they'll put that figure out as a single pack so it's only exclusive for 3 months. It's great for folks like me that don't like those sets, but not so much for those that have 40 Doctors in coat because they thought CO meant strictly exclusive.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Well.... so far the exclusives HAVE remained exclusive with the exception of the Grey Auton. And in the UK the 3D glasses Doctor is still an exclusive. We just got him. So the Pig Slave and Astrid are still exclusives, and it really seems like they're sticking to that with the Crucible Dalek and Commander Staal in the upcoming sets. Time will tell, of course...
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 3:26 am

Isn't Astrid single packed for 4.2?
Back to top Go down
Dalek Thay

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Do 'exclusives' exclude?   Do 'exclusives' exclude? EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Isn't Astrid single packed for 4.2?

Not as far as I know......... No Same with the overcoat and glasses brown suit Doc in the series 2 10 figure pack. And I still need the Krilitane from that set.
Back to top Go down

Do 'exclusives' exclude?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next