5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

407:The Unicorn and the Wasp Empty
PostSubject: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:43 am

407:The Unicorn and the Wasp

Please keep in mind that that this episode has already aired in the UK. This thread will probably contain LOTS of spoilers. If you don't want to ruin the fun, you may want to come back once the episode airs on SciFi in a few weeks.

Special Note: There will be a one week break between 7 & 8 due to programming. Next episode topic will be posted following the airing of ep 8.

Last edited by gregtdj on Sun May 18, 2008 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added special note)
Back to top Go down
taliesyn30
taliesyn30

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: The Unicorn And The Wasp Reviewed   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:37 am

My usual review - enjoy!

http://www.telewatcher.com/Science-Fiction/Doctor-Who/The-Unicorn-and-the-Wasp-Doctor-Who-Series-Four-Episode-Seven.126216
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:57 am

I liked this episode, it had a mix of drama, suspense, comedy and mystery. I kept trying to figure out who did all the murders. Good episode overall, and a nod to Xmas 2008 special?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptySun May 18, 2008 12:59 pm

It was witty and fun, and even if you aren't a Christie fanatic, you certainly should know the cliches well enough to enjoy this episode. The plot itself is simply there to have fun with Christie, and it works very well.

There are some weak moments, but overall, it's really good fun.

Now it's time for the second half of the season where things always start to kick ass. In two weeks, Alex Kingston!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyMon May 19, 2008 12:23 am

I thought it was a lot of fun, I'll need to pick up a Christie novel the next time I make it to the book store.

I know I shouldn't expect the ending of a Doctor Who episode to be logical, but it would have been nice if they would have given us enough clues (or a less random plot) to figure out things by ourselves (or at least give us an "Aha!" moment).

The worst part of the episode was definitely the word "fortnight" during the credits. At least we get Moffit's story once Eurovision is over.

"My lovely lovely lovely horse..." :-)
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyMon May 19, 2008 3:21 am

Has anyone noticed that in every episode of Series 4, there has been humour? Maybe just little quips:

Ep 1: "I just want a mate"
"You just want to MATE?! You're not mating with me, sunshine!"

Ep 2: "You fought her off with a water pistol, I bloody love you!"

Ep. 3: "You're great with locks, you must have met Houdini!" (something to that effect)

"At least we've got quality!"

Ep 4: "You big, outerspace, dumbo!"

Ep 5: "Back of the neck!"

Ep 6: "Cool it Rambo!"

"GI Jane"

Ep 7: "Agatha Christie"
"What about her?"
"That's me"

I think I'm enjoying Donna more since she has lots of humourous lines.
Back to top Go down
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:45 am

I liked it when the vicar started buzzing and turning purple.
I also loved the flashbacks to what the character were really doing, when the doctor yells "show yourself" and a;; the major characters show up, it was a pretty good episode
liked the "C" box under the consule room, and was the doctor with the bow and arrows refrencing blink?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyMon May 19, 2008 12:55 pm

I want to know why he has to keep the trunk in the console room! I know they aren't going to make an extra set just for that scene, but damn it, let's see more of the Tardis interior!

And I agree about the wit. It's been a much lighter series so far, and I've enjoyed it. Now get Capt. Jack in there, and let him meet Donna. Then we'll have some serious wit. Good times!
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:13 pm

AC Rempt wrote:
And I agree about the wit. It's been a much lighter series so far, and I've enjoyed it. Now get Capt. Jack in there, and let him meet Donna. Then we'll have some serious wit. Good times!

Yeah, that'd be really good, as long as their not too busy fighting off an alien life form
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyTue May 20, 2008 11:48 am

Don't get me wrong at all, I love the darker episodes like "Blink" "Doomsday" and the whole Master storyline, but I really enjoy these lighter episodes a lot.

I appreciate that this series doesn't take itself too seriously and retains a little of the kitschy silliness often present in the classic series.

The scene when he's trying to get the arsenic out of his system had me rolling!

"HOW IS HARVEY WALLBANGER ONE WORD!?"
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Anybody else tracking the 4th Doctor reference's? Never mind the pocket gag, ginger beer anyone? Attempts to get Baker involved for a time crash type ep, or just appease classic who purists?

That and more references to the 9th doctor's adventures....
"that's like meeting charles dickens and he's surrounded by ghosts...at christmas."
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:43 pm

gregtdj-Oh I would be most pleased if they got Tom in at some point...hey with Moffat at the helm a multi doctor story seems well within reach.

As for the episode- I was biased before I saw this because I am a Christie fan...so naturally I loved this one quite a bit. The poisoning scene was truly a great moment. I really really laughed at this ep and enjoyed the whole art deco feel. Christie was well realized and it was good fun to poke at her mysterious dissaperance that did happen in real life...er without the wasps. Even to her dying day- se never explained her little hiatus. Now we have to endure the wait for Eurovision again...and it is a Moffat episode..so cruel so cruel.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:47 am

greenk9 wrote:
Christie was well realized and it was good fun to poke at her mysterious dissaperance that did happen in real life...er without the wasps.

Hey, you never know whether that was the reason or not lol!
Back to top Go down
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:56 am

I would watch Invasion of Time if you want to see more of the TARDIS interior.
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:36 pm

forbidden_moose wrote:
I would watch Invasion of Time if you want to see more of the TARDIS interior.

Oh, I've seen it, and I'd like to think they could do a better job now than a basement and some stairs. :doc4:

In my mind, the Tardis interior should be a surrealist mansion with all sorts of different rooms and weirdness, the occasional vanquished foe or retired companion, a cat. It should reflect all of the Doctor's travels with all the various console rooms and such scattered here and there.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 10:20 pm

just watched this again on scifi- I have a brother who hates sci fi more or less...this time I finally got him to watch this episode...
his wife who loves sci fi was glued to the set. Mr. cynic was too ha ha... he actually liked it-maybe he really is my brother after all.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Now just plan on getting them to catch the start of a marathon of Who on scifi or bbcam and as each episode airs they'll continue watching and then they will finally be one of us...one of us...one of us Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 407:The Unicorn and the Wasp   407:The Unicorn and the Wasp EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 pm

one of us...one of us...one of us...
Back to top Go down

407:The Unicorn and the Wasp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: