0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

406: The Doctor's Daughter Empty
PostSubject: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySat May 10, 2008 8:05 pm

406: The Doctor's Daughter

Please keep in mind that that this episode has already aired in the UK. This thread will probably contain LOTS of spoilers. If you don't want to ruin the fun, you may want to come back once the episode airs on SciFi in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySat May 10, 2008 8:22 pm

this episode was brilliant.my fav so far.i think jenny and the doctor will bump into each other again.its likely!

lol
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySat May 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Another good episode all around. Certainly heavy on the emotional range. I get a sense from this one something akin to the last couple. Something of a return to the roots or history of Who. Shades of the early Doctors seem to be coming through in the Tenth Doctor. Storyline seemed a little borrowed with elements of "the armageddon factor" or maybe "the face of evil".

Soapbox - spoiler involved so, read at risk. A little overboard with the unnecessary deaths this season. Last episode we had a strong character, Ross, killed off with no need to advance the story. A needless sacrifice of a genius, who instead of dying could have really been better used by coming up with a way to save the doctor and redeem himself. This episode we have the death of Hath Peck, while not a major loss to the cosmos, it was still a pointless death in the overall story. How much more interesting would it have been for that character to have stayed with Martha and been at her side when she caught up with the Doctor. It would have forced Jenny and Hath Peck to represent each side of the conflict and show they could work together. I know death surrounds the Doctor, but it seems this season is more deadly than others.

As to Jenny, great character. Loved the acrobatics and the fact that she actually made the Doctor not only speechless but have to think about what she said on a deeper level.
Spoiler:

Overall a good ep, enjoyed the possibilities and the fact that this is the 2nd episode or so to keep bringing up Terra forming as a way to rebuild or reshape a barren world. Guess maybe that should go on the list of clues.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 1:07 am

Looking forward to hearing the comments next week when people say that an actress's voice sounds 'familiar' Wink
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 2:31 am

I enjoyed this episode, some quirky quips from Donna, e.g. 'GI Jane', 'Rambo' and 'What are you gonna do? Tell my dad?' my 10-year-old nephew came round to watch it, and he obviously cried when Hath Peck died, I almost cried at the end because
Spoiler:
but my nephew cleverly mentioned she had two hearts! It leaves for a possible spin-off or full-time companion. I loved the athletetics by Jenny and that we saw the Doctor on a more emotional level and we found out about his family. Overall this was a pretty cool episode, can't wait the next one!
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 8:29 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
and we found out about his family.

That's one thing from this episode I didn't really like. Yes it would lead toward explaining the hardness of the Doctor, but I guess it raises way too many questions for me. Is this supposed to be another story fragment from the Time War, showing more of what he lost? Did the 8th doctor have them and that's when they were lost? Were they on Galifrey all this time from the first Doctor until now? If so then how is it that he had a family that he left behind on Galifrey when he became the outcast that was never really dealt with until now? Was Susan the only one he took with him while the others lived on without them until they died in the Time War? Is this just more fluff added by RTD, or a vague attempt to tie in the other Doctors by explaining how he had a granddaughter? It was just part of the story that seemed to point out that RTD will pick and choose when he accepts the history of the character or just scrap it all to create an all new backstory.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 8:09 pm

It was a good episode but things seemed to rush. If it could have been say 70 minutes or even a 2 parter, it would have played out better. At least we did learn more about the Time War. One thing that didn't work for me is Martha who seemed to just be there without really being part of the story. Donna, on the other hand, it becoming one my fave of the new series so far and has managed to fit in easily after Partners in Crime.

Jenny was spunky and all but I think she needed more character building. In the end, she does appear to follow 'like father like daughter' saying.

I'm also noticing that the Doctor is starting to carrying odd things around in that coat of his just like Doctor #4 did ever since the 2nd eppie of this season. Don't recall this occurring before then.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes Owl-Well the pocket joke has gone back for number 10 since the runaway bride...he had a remote...then in the fires of pompeii he had a water pistol... a nice nod to number 4. Dear oh dear did Tom have tardis tech in his pockets.

As for the episode i am going to be the oddball and say this was not a favorite of mine. The Hath looked like a strange combo of the Blowfish from kiss kiss bang bang on TW and an early 70's sea devil. I just feel the drama was too rushed and the characters seemed too cookie cutter. The Caves of And. this episode reminded me of quite a bit which was much better.

I liked Jenny- and I'm sure we have not heard the last of her yet. I know this is science fiction but it is hard for me to get a clone that has a full outfit/knowledge and can spring into action so quickly...no language or birth hiccups so to speak. It would have been more interesting if she developed at a slower rate. Oh well... still liked this episode but something was missing...maybe just too much anticipating and being let down...don't know but this episode made me feel empty.

Plus I'm feeling a bit too sorry for the doc...can't something good happen to the poor fella once and a while?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 11, 2008 11:11 pm

I was disappointed. I thought the Hath were interesting to look at, but no more than that. The fact that they couldn't speak made them dull. Who were they? Why were they on land and living with humans? It seemed so silly.

I also didn't like the the cloning to create people. There was no mention of the often-cited fact that each generation of clone degenerates, or even of the issue of individuality. It seemed like a plot device that hadn't been thought through.

And the biggest disappointment: Jennie. I was hoping she would really be his daughter, and that we would finally get some sense of his family. We know he has a granddaughter, so why not have his daughter show up? Or son? Or something? Anything other than the add-water-and-stir Jennie.

I liked the character, though, and she seems to have some promise. I just wish she had more substance and spent more time with the Doctor.

This is one my least favorite episode of the series so far. Just didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:53 am

In the books, it was stated that Susan was the last Gallifreyan, and her real grandfather was The Other. When he died, put into the loom, his DNA was combined with The Doctor, hence, she noticed that in him (more or less).

Yet, with the new series and all the changes, and the fact there is no true canon for DW....

As long as we have the show, that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyMon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

Definitely looking forward to seeing Jenny return in a future episode. (spin off?) You can tell she has her dad's "spark" for adventure. I know she's not a full-blown Time Lord (Lady) but it's the closest thing to a female Doctor we're likely to see and I think that's pretty cool.

Plus...she's not at all difficult to look at. I mean....DAMN!
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyMon May 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Clavius wrote:

I know! lol! I bet she'll be either mentioned or show up in the finale, because RTD said something from every ep would contribute to the finale, so Jenny might pop up somewhere, I shouldn't think so but I could hope
Back to top Go down
Ross_Jenkins
Ross_Jenkins

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:53 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
Clavius wrote:

I know! lol! I bet she'll be either mentioned or show up in the finale, because RTD said something from every ep would contribute to the finale, so Jenny might pop up somewhere, I shouldn't think so but I could hope

I don't think that she will turn up either.I think that it would be too much to bring back two characters who the Doctor thought he would never see again in one finale. I think that the thing that will be contributed to this episode will be the UNIT badge that was behing Jenny.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:08 am

[/quote]I think that the thing that will be contributed to this episode will be the UNIT badge that was behind Jenny.[/quote]

Wow! I didn't think anyone else noticed that!
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyWed May 14, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the fact that Jenny was played by Georgia Moffett - born Georgia DAVISON. The Doctor's daughter indeed...

:doc5:
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptyThu May 15, 2008 3:06 am

Yeah, I suppose, but I think that most of us didn't care she was his daughter, we were just looking at her! lol!
Back to top Go down
memnoch
memnoch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:20 am

greenk9 wrote:
I liked Jenny- and I'm sure we have not heard the last of her yet. I know this is science fiction but it is hard for me to get a clone that has a full outfit/knowledge and can spring into action so quickly...no language or birth hiccups so to speak. It would have been more interesting if she developed at a slower rate.

Don't forget, she came out of the machine with a great eyeliner job too! Not exactly sure from which that was cloned, but hey, it looked good! :>
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 406: The Doctor's Daughter   406: The Doctor's Daughter EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 1:34 am

I thought this was a nicely done ep. Story reminiscent of old 4-5th storylines arrive at some space station/outpost/planet solve local problem. It was a bit rushed but what can you do. Hath were very interesting to look at and hey they were NEW and ALIENS! That's what I have been waiting for! CO will love them being another army build figure. I think it was a little lame that the Doctor didn't try to do more to attempt to save her. I rationalize it in this fashion: Maybe he had a hunch that she would be okay but chose to let her find her own way. He wasn't ready to go down the parenting road yet. Donna just gets better and better too.
Back to top Go down

406: The Doctor's Daughter
Page 1 of 1