Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
digby
digby

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?   Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 11:14 am

So I only heard about this yesterday, I'm on the Big Finish mailing list and got something about the upcoming 3rd Doc story "The Annihilators".

Anyway, this seems to have come out of the blue?

I'm kinda surprised, since it seemed like EVERYONE online gushes about Frazier Hines as Troughton ... except for me!

I guess this is sacrilege, but to be honest I was never blown away by Hines as 2. I was too used to hearing Hines in the DVD commentaries sans-scot accent so I was never "fooled" into believing he was Troughton. NOt that he gave a bad performance, I just never was able to get caught up in the story and let go that I was hearing Jamie imitate the Doctor! Especially when Hines was ALSO narrating.

So does anyone think Frazier Hines is upset about this "re-casting"? Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?   Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 11:07 pm

I think Mr. Hines has done a wonderful job as the Second Doctor the past few years. He's enthusiastic and certainly knows several of Patrick's mannerisms. There are certainly times when I forget it is Frazer Hines and think that I'm listening to a found recording of the man himself.

But Frazer Hines is getting on in years (he's 77) and had one long bought of cancer some years ago. I can believe that he may be ready to share some of the load with Michael Troughton.

Big Finish appears they want to respect and engage the original cast, yet more and more they're relying on the children of the original stars to keep things running. I'll say I'm going to be excited to hear what they come up with for the Second Doctor next.
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?   Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 12:26 am

squishy wrote:
I think Mr. Hines has done a wonderful job as the Second Doctor the past few years.  He's enthusiastic and certainly knows several of Patrick's mannerisms.  There are certainly times when I forget it is Frazer Hines and think that I'm listening to a found recording of the man himself.  

But Frazer Hines is getting on in years (he's 77) and had one long bought of cancer some years ago.  I can believe that he may be ready to share some of the load with Michael Troughton.  

Big Finish appears they want to respect and engage the original cast, yet more and more they're relying on the children of the original stars to keep things running.  I'll say I'm going to be excited to hear what they come up with for the Second Doctor next.

Aw that's sad I had no idea Frazier Hines had cancer. Just terrible.
Love that he seems to be still so enthusiastic.

I guess that's one reason why I was never able to "forget" as you say that it's Hines doing the 2nd Doctor. There was a time in my life back in the days before podcasts when I didn't have cable and tended to just have Doctor Who DVDs playing in the background. Usually the commentaries ... and since #2 is my favorite it was usually a Troughton story playing, and so it was usually Frazier Hines talking in his normal non-Scottish accent. It just got beat into my head, how his voice sounds!

So much so that I can't turn it off when I listen to his Big Finish work.

That being said I know I'm way way in the minority here! :-)

Still, looking forward to see what Michael Troughton does.

Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?   Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 am

Well, the good news is that Frazer Hines beat his cancer despite only having a 25% chance of survival. He kept it secret for years assuming he couldn't get work if directors knew his condition. But now that he's won he's very open about it and tries to raise awareness for others. A search for him with the word "cancer" brings up several of the interviews he's done since.

But my guess is that at 77 he'd just getting old. Frazer was on the "Fury from the Deep" Blu-ray bonuses and traveled out to the old sea forts, but politely opted to stay on the boat as he didn't think he'd be up to climbing all the ladders and moving around safe on the derelict structures. I love his era too, and the idea of more Second Doctor Adventures with Frazer Hines included makes me excited.
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?   Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 10:06 am

squishy wrote:
Well, the good news is that Frazer Hines beat his cancer despite only having a 25% chance of survival.  He kept it secret for years assuming he couldn't get work if directors knew his condition.  But now that he's won he's very open about it and tries to raise awareness for others.  A search for him with the word "cancer" brings up several of the interviews he's done since.

But my guess is that at 77 he'd just getting old.  Frazer was on the "Fury from the Deep" Blu-ray bonuses and traveled out to the old sea forts, but politely opted to stay on the boat as he didn't think he'd be up to climbing all the ladders and moving around safe on the derelict structures.  I love his era too, and the idea of more Second Doctor Adventures with Frazer Hines included makes me excited.

Oh wow ... he beat it with a 25% chance?
I'm really so happy to hear that. He's a trooper!

I'm with you, the more I think about it the more excited I am to see where they are going with season 6B and Michael Troughton with Hines.
And here's hoping the Chibnal era re-writing of history doesn't throw a monkey wrench into all this!
Back to top Go down

Michael Troughton cast as Second Doctor?
Page 1 of 1