SeaDevil
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 Empty
PostSubject: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Coming next year...

from the press release...

"The Faceless Ones is the mostly missing eighth serial of the fourth season in Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from April to May 1967. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns a race of identity-stealing aliens known as the Chameleons.

Only two of the six episodes are held in the BBC film archives with snippets of footage and still images existing from the other four. Off-air recordings of the soundtrack also still exist, making the animation of a complete serial possible once again.

The six new animated episodes are being made in full colour and high definition. The DVD/Blu-ray release will also include surviving archive material from the original 1967 production."

Back to top Go down
DWFAN1974
DWFAN1974

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2018-05-14

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 pm

So they have 2 surviving episodes but they are animating all six???? why?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/158006658131453/
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Best bet is that BBC America wants to broadcast "The Faceless Ones" and would prefer to show it all as one long animated feature rather than jumping back and forth.

At first blush it does seem a waste of animation, but I've read all the arguments that with the money spent you cannot suddenly get all the assets to complete "The Underwater Menace/The Crusade". Once you do 4 episodes, finishing off 2 more from the same story is relatively simple and cheap. And if we're stuck with BBC America animating a couple existing episodes in order to get animations then I'm all for it. As long as the existing episodes and a good recon are included on the eventual DVD/Blu release.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:53 pm

I for one am ecstatic, love new Classic Who in any form. I imagine the 2 actual episodes will be included on Blu-ray as well.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Winter wrote:
I imagine the 2 actual episodes will be included on Blu-ray as well.

Yup.  It says so in the press release I put in the original post...^
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 am

The reason for doing it is also that the BBC can sell it as a complete animated story if they decide to do an animated box set down the road with all the episodes matching in style and in color
Back to top Go down
canyonwolf

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

squishy wrote:
At first blush it does seem a waste of animation, but I've read all the arguments that with the money spent you cannot suddenly get all the assets to complete "The Underwater Menace/The Crusade".  Once you do 4 episodes, finishing off 2 more from the same story is relatively simple and cheap.

My understanding is that the key variable when it comes to costing out the animations is the number of characters in the missing eps. Oddly enough, given today's technology, the cost of animating the final two episodes of Crusade is one of the most expensive of these projects, due to the sheer number of unique characters who would need to be animated.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 1:15 pm

canyonwolf wrote:

My understanding is that the key variable when it comes to costing out the animations is the number of characters in the missing eps. Oddly enough, given today's technology, the cost of animating the final two episodes of Crusade is one of the most expensive of these projects, due to the sheer number of unique characters who would need to be animated.

Probably quite true. Although I do quite like "The Crusades" and wish it was completed on disc. I listened to William Russell read the Target book and that version is really quite exciting. Recons of the episodes show that maybe the televised version was embellished a bit when the novel was written. But I'd still like "The Crusade" on my shelf someday.

Anyhow, unexpected news about "The Faceless Ones". Also seems like BBC America is now footing the bill for these so they'll dictate what they want to broadcast. If only they could go from one a year to two per year... bounce
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm

I'm watching The Faceless Ones now...

The black and white version episodes are in the original aspect ratio and can be viewed either as all 6 animated episodes together, or with the 2 surviving episodes with the 4 other animated episodes around them like the other "incomplete" serials.

The color version episodes are in widescreen and are viewed only as the animated episodes. The colors really pop and it looks fantastic.

This has always been a favorite of mine among the "lost" stories from listening to the audio CDs, and this visualization of the complete serial does not disappoint.

Back to top Go down
stanlow

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyTue May 26, 2020 11:51 am

It appears this title will be released July 28 in R1. 😊👍👍
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Just viewed this today:) bought the Steelbook version and I have to say that this release has the best looking animation so far. Keep those Troughton episodes coming!
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: faceless   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2020 12:24 pm

In stock now.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The Faceless Ones animated for 2020   The Faceless Ones animated for 2020 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Me and the wife watched it last night on BBC America in color they did a great job on this one for sure
Back to top Go down

The Faceless Ones animated for 2020
Page 1 of 1