Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 Empty
PostSubject: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 pm

From the Doctor Who News site...

"The BBC confirmed this evening that Doctor Who will not return for a full series next year, but will instead be back on air in early 2020."

full article here...

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/12/no-series-2019-091218191508.html
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm

That's just insane, although... Wouldn't it be super cool if for 2019, they did an alternate universe version of Who where they cast a dude as the Doctor!!! I mean I know in today's Archaic Politically Correct, Unsexist, Unigender, Gestapo Smackdown Social Climate of anything we the people think might suck is actually to our own uneducated minds a Phobia such as Genderphobia, Homophobia, Transgenderphobia, ect.ect. that such an Idea is Anathema, outdated and backwards, but, ... despite my "FEAR"(which I humbly redefine as genuine disinterest) could we possibly entertain that "Minority" (Which I define as the Majority) with say a Male Doctor Who series containing a female companion who together travel through time and space getting in all manner of trouble and haphazardly navigateing the depths of their hearts in occasional Connections of fleeting romance?
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 pm

The show appears to be entering production in January, and as Series 11 entered production in October 2017 and debuted in October 2018, it's not unlikely for it to debut in January/February 2020 - perhaps to avoid the "Strictly" and "I'm A Celebrity" nights. It seems they want to take stock of the whole season before crafting a new one. It's a model that's not unlike Netflix shows (~15 month between series) and seems very similar to how Star Trek: Discovery played out. Debuted in Sept. 2017, took mid-season break after 7 episodes, came back in early 2018 and then is slated to debut in January 2019.

As well, it seems like it's getting a "traditional" BBC drama schedule as opposed to RTD's "American" schedule of YTD seasons. It is a bit of a mixed bag - not good to slow momentum, big change and then a "gap year" is just bad optics - but also, some of this doesn't matter anymore in 2018. While first run ratings are important, international sales, iTunes season passes/episode buys, streaming numbers are all as important.

It's disappointing, but hey... Sherlock had 3 episodes every 2 years? Luther's back after... 4 years?
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 am

Remember what happened when Tennant had the specials series, the ratings had a drop, although there was a new Doctor, some people will find something new to watch if their show is not on. Gotham's last season is only 10 eps long and wont start until after Football is over.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Doctor Who has a potential of 10-12 million viewers an episode every episode if they had the right production crew. 13th Doctor's final numbers for first episode were over 10 million, even though it's a Regeneration episode that still shows an overwhelming number of U.K. population has an interest in Who. I believe Smith and Tennant's numbers were both higher, also If the writing and directing were equal to Big Bang Theory, Sinfield, Roseanne, ect. Then the U.S. viewership would increase beyond ~3 million. I remember turning on people to Doctor Who with David and Matt but once Capaldi entered every one I got into the show dropped out. (I like Capaldi) and now that Jodie is the Doctor I get a bit of grief and teasing. Who really does need a larger dose of episodes and an increase of Talent in the Writing and Directing departments. And waaaaay less political correctness as a focus (one of the best shows ever to exist would have to be Orphan Black, but because of the VERY SMALL MINORITY of people who are comfortable with that content means the show was never a ratings giant) You could make the world's Greatest Plate of Seasoned Snails but how many people are going to choose that for lunch? Make the show more palatable to the majority and use the tried and true formula of Tennant's and Smith's era only improve the Scripts, Continuity, and Direction.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 5:55 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
The show appears to be entering production in January, and as Series 11 entered production in October 2017 and debuted in October 2018, it's not unlikely for it to debut in January/February 2020 - perhaps to avoid the "Strictly" and "I'm A Celebrity" nights. It seems they want to take stock of the whole season before crafting a new one. It's a model that's not unlike Netflix shows (~15 month between series) and seems very similar to how Star Trek: Discovery played out. Debuted in Sept. 2017, took mid-season break after 7 episodes, came back in early 2018 and then is slated to debut in January 2019.

As well, it seems like it's getting a "traditional" BBC drama schedule as opposed to RTD's "American" schedule of YTD seasons. It is a bit of a mixed bag - not good to slow momentum, big change and then a "gap year" is just bad optics - but also, some of this doesn't matter anymore in 2018. While first run ratings are important, international sales, iTunes season passes/episode buys, streaming numbers are all as important.

It's disappointing, but hey... Sherlock had 3 episodes every 2 years? Luther's back after... 4 years?
I love Sherlock and Luther wasn't bad but I don't think either pulled the same numbers as Who
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Sherlock's season averages are: 8.37 mil (2010), 10.3 mil (2012), 11.2 mil (2014), 10 mil season 4 (2017). They're pretty much better than Who's ratings and generally consistently improved even at two years apart. (As well, their New Year's Day special pulled in almost as many folks as watched Season 3. As well, the American viewership appears to be over ~3-4 mil per season. (No stats on Season 1 for some reason).

Luther's overalls ratings are lower than Who's but comparable to Season 9, 10 and 11. So I think the point stands.

Outside of the 10 and 11 specials, The Woman Who Fell to Earth is the highest rated episode of regular series since the revival, just edging out Rose. It's also the highest rated Doctor debut episode outside of Tom Baker's first outing with just shy of 11 million viewers. If I had to guess, without really crunching the numbers, it seems likely Jodie's on track for an average seasonal rating about that of Eccleston's first season.

Also I'm baffled that you think nearly 30 year old multi-cam 30 minute sitcoms are a goal for Who. And we certainly don't need anything from lowest common denominator bait Big Bang. We also don't need a return to the Davies era, which has not aged well. Honestly the direction and cinematography are sharp, they don't need to change. And the show has dropped more continuity connections than I would have thought. Even "Name checking" events from the past. Chibnall needs to write less scripts. Maybe bring in a few Who vets - Fitton, Dorney and Goss are all waiting for a call up from Big Finish. The music is somewhat off. There are a few where it was good but it's entirely unmemorable. Somehow Murray Gold was able to pump out 10 years worth of truly great scores. That said, I love the new arrangement of the theme.

But outside of The Who fora, I'm intrigued by how well received the season seems to be. A site I write for has awarded a glowing review to almost every episode. It's not so uncommon if we dig out from the insular world. People who liked the Tenant and Smith years seem jazzed. But I also note in my Facebook feed at least three people who are planning to binge the show from iTunes over the holiday to line up with the special.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of the naysaying about a show that commands over 25% of the total viewership in it's time slot. That's not a measure of failure.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019   NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm not unhappy about that.
Back to top Go down

NO NEW SERIES FOR 2019
Page 1 of 1