24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
skifflebits
skifflebits

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-12-02

Seven20's new figures? Empty
PostSubject: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Does anyone have any info on Seven20's new figures? They mentioned they'll be releasing a 5.5" 13th Doctor a few months back, but it's been silence ever since.

WhoNA, are you in touch with them? Do you know if you'll be carrying these?
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 1:28 pm

They will not reply to inquiries on this subject.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
skifflebits
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Well, that's a GREAT way for a toy company to do business. Sad

Thanks for inquiring.
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 am

They're probably waiting to see how badly the new series is going to tank before committing to making any figures.

They can always go back to classic stuff. There's always going to be a market for that.
Back to top Go down
skifflebits
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 am

You're not serious, right?
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 am

skifflebits wrote:
Well, that's a GREAT way for a toy company to do business.  Sad

Thanks for inquiring.

They've copied CO's business model Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 am

skifflebits wrote:
You're not serious, right?

Moffett spent the last five years doing his best to destroy the show.  Chibnail's putting that last nail in.
Back to top Go down
skifflebits
skifflebits

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 2:39 pm

And yet it's never been more popular worldwide.

You know, being able to differentiate subjective opinion from objective fact is a mark of maturity. Wink
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 am

I guess it just comes down to apples and tomatoes.
Back to top Go down
DWFAN1974
DWFAN1974

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2018-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

It's Chibnall, he doesn't give a crap about the american audience, he's said so himself. So far he is trying to keep every piece of merchandise in the UK too. I've seen a UK person on youtube, that was in a toy shop and they had dozens of Dr. Who toys (series 11). So they are purposely not sending the stuff here. Even Hot Topic that gets exclusive stuff says they are not sending them ANYTHING. It's sad when you alienate half your audience just because you are a jerk.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/158006658131453/
Drscruffs
Drscruffs

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am

I am sure WhoNA is under some sort of embargo. The guys from Titan told me, at SDCC, that the BBC is being very strict with the 13th Doctor roll out and licensees have to be very careful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogsoftherock.com
Spannerintheworks
Spannerintheworks

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am

Could we see/get reference to Chibnall dismissing the international audience? I'm not saying he did or didn't, and he's definitely said some things so far that concern me, but that seems....extreme.

Over here in America, I'll admit it's gonna be a hard sell. Classic Fans will supposedly have fewer touch points (No returning classic monsters, etc.), people I know who were cruelly critical of Moffat (and, let's be frank, often are unreasonable about it) seem to want a return to the Davies era - which, obviously, won't happen, and the Sunday air date is actually a tough one here. I'm not sure what Who is competing with at home, but Sundays tend to actually pull a competitive schedule in the US. That actually has me more concerned than any Time Lord gender.

And, my understanding was that Seven 20 is running the merchandise show here. So, it kinda makes sense that the CO toys aren't due in shops here. And honestly, The Doctor is the only guaranteed seller outside of a Sonic Screwdriver (or Daleks/monsters, but....yeah. No idea what this year will bring, so I get why they'd not run the risk). And oddly, even the Sonic Screwdriver is already a weird merch tale. (The US one is really nice; I'd actually decline the UK one based on, well, every difference.)

One thing I'll acknowledge from some earlier comment: Though I feel the Moffat era was fine (it had some great ups (Capaldi era overall, Anniversary story, and Series 5 overall) and downs (Series 6, maintaining Amy or Clara consistently)) and infinitely prefer it to Series 1-4 (the show matured for the better even during Davies' time; Moffat just got to cash in on that more than series 3-4 did), I will agree the merch/toy situation seems to keep suggesting that the Classic series is the sure bet. Dodgy Claras, Bill a year late and the 9th/11th Doctor sets moving slower has gotta make the reception/scramble/resale market for the 3rd Doctor/Tardis and other classics noted....

I'll be curious to see what WhoNA gets after October...
Back to top Go down
Richard A. Franklin
Richard A. Franklin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

DWFAN1974 wrote:
It's Chibnall, he doesn't give a crap about the american audience, he's said so himself.  So far he is trying to keep every piece of merchandise in the UK too.  I've seen a UK person on youtube, that was in a toy shop and they had dozens of Dr. Who toys (series 11).  So they are purposely not sending the stuff here.  Even Hot Topic that gets exclusive stuff says they are not sending them ANYTHING.  It's sad when you alienate half your audience just because you are a jerk.

I am sure he never said that. If they didn't care about the American audience he wouldn't have come to San Diego Comicon. And they wouldn't be simulcasting the debut on BBC America.

There are licensing reasons why we cannot get the toys from the UK anymore. After the Underground Toys split the license went to Seven20 (formerly Underground Toys USA).

Last edited by Richard A. Franklin on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richard A. Franklin
Richard A. Franklin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Thun wrote:
They're probably waiting to see how badly the new series is going to tank before committing to making any figures.

They can always go back to classic stuff.  There's always going to be a market for that.

The demand for the classics is very limited which is why we only get repaints now exclusive to shops we can't actually get to without buying a ticket to the UK.

I'm hoping the new series reinvigorates the license so that we can get more Doctor Who merchandise in general including the classic stuff.

You don't have to watch the new stuff, but if it does well, we are more likely to get more classic merchandise than if it does not.
Back to top Go down
djdwtw101785
djdwtw101785

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2014-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Richard A. Franklin wrote:
Thun wrote:

They can always go back to classic stuff.  There's always going to be a market for that.

The demand for the classics is very limited which is why we only get repaints now exclusive to shops we can't actually get to without buying a ticket to the UK.

I'm hoping the new series reinvigorates the license so that we can get more Doctor Who merchandise in general including the classic stuff.

You don't have to watch the new stuff, but if it does well, we are more likely to get more classic merchandise than if it does not.

Well I been trying to get the older stuffs to add to my collection. I have managed to get the new figures this year from the UK. Even if I had to paid a lil more. But I want more of the figures before the 11th Doctor Era. With the show in a whole new Direction I think the merchandise companies well make new stuffs for the fans. I believe the 13th doctor well be a success cuz she will get old & new fans wanted more
Back to top Go down
Mawdryn
Mawdryn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 12:09 am

Richard A. Franklin wrote:
DWFAN1974 wrote:
It's Chibnall, he doesn't give a crap about the american audience, he's said so himself.  So far he is trying to keep every piece of merchandise in the UK too.  I've seen a UK person on youtube, that was in a toy shop and they had dozens of Dr. Who toys (series 11).  So they are purposely not sending the stuff here.  Even Hot Topic that gets exclusive stuff says they are not sending them ANYTHING.  It's sad when you alienate half your audience just because you are a jerk.

I am sure he never said that. If they didn't care about the American audience he wouldn't have come to San Diego Comicon. And they wouldn't be simulcasting the debut on BBC America.
Not only that, but Doctor Who is basically an American co-production now through BBC America. The name is kind of misleading--the New York-based BBC America is technically "AMC 2" in everything but name, with the BBC proper being the majority owner by the smallest possible margin (the remaining half is owned by the very American AMC Networks).
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 5:44 am

I too don't have any hopes for the new Dr. Why series being a huge hit but to hear all these licensing issues it doesn't bode well for any new classic figures anytime soon.I'll just work on getting the 2 or 3 I don't have I guess.

Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Ahh, yes... Chris Chibnall doesn't care about the American audience, which is precisely why he and Jodie are going to be at New York Comic Con showing the episode as it airs.

The discourse on the new season is a fascinating as it is depressing.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 pm

I believe isolationism from American audience's expectations would be a good thing, however I'm-aside with TinDogRory. Everything in that notion is contrary to the reality.

TinDogRory wrote:
Ahh, yes... Chris Chibnall doesn't care about the American audience, which is precisely why he and Jodie are going to be at New York Comic Con showing the episode as it airs.

The discourse on the new season is a fascinating as it is depressing.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 1:02 am

As part of the "American audience" I ONLY expect great science fiction writing with great,complex,and fun characters that can draw me into the action regardless of the "political" or "social" decision to change genders of a LONG running male character.

Writing for EVERYONE is what makes for great success.

Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 6:36 pm

I would say some of the unique British charm of the show has been lost a little bit and reorienting around that is perhaps not a bad idea, but the idea that they wouldn't want a show to be universally successful is odd.

;-)
Back to top Go down
SirPrize
SirPrize

Number of posts : 782
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 3:07 am

Drscruffs wrote:
I am sure WhoNA is under some sort of embargo. The guys from Titan told me, at SDCC, that the BBC is being very strict with the 13th Doctor roll out and licensees have to be very careful.

or it could just be that the figure is a retailer exclusive only
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyThu Dec 06, 2018 11:18 pm

I just saw the 13th Doctor figure from Seven20...It is supremely Hideous!!! Character Options can have my money. But I wouldn't purchase what I just saw for any amount of money. If they gave me a figure for free with a non related purchase then I wouldn't even gift it to someone, It belongs in the same category as Mr.Bean's painting fix of Whistler's Mother.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 am

Interesting, as Seven20 made the better sonic.
Back to top Go down
SirPrize
SirPrize

Number of posts : 782
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Seven20's new figures?   Seven20's new figures? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 am

TinDogRory wrote:
Interesting, as Seven20 made the better sonic.

That's debatable... Scale was odd, the wood effect resulting from 3D printing marks... The only thing that's interesting in that version is the rotating tip. Much prefer the CO version, and even more so the new version that's now in the shops with frosted panels, darker wash and a more orange light.
Back to top Go down

Seven20's new figures?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next