Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip! Empty
PostSubject: WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!   WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Keith and Jany might be too modest to post this, so i will for them! Very Happy

They have recently been featured in SyFy.com's continuing series of Geek Road Trip. Its a really nice article about our favorite Whovians who make this great online store and forum possible...

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/geek-road-trip-theres-a-gigantic-doctor-who-store-and-museum-in-rural-indiana
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!   WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 11:29 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!   WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip! EmptyThu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

I love you Thanks, Sea Devil! bounce

BTW the Syfy article has gone viral - sent to over 12,988 people at this time (6/21/18 at 11:50 pm). Woohoo!! Reminds me of the Indy Star article about us a few years back - it was fun seeing how many people the article was sent to Razz

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!   WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 am

That article does take me back.

God I remember here in the USA in the 1970's the only Dr. Who merchandise available was the occasional sci fi magazine article like Star Log or Famous Monsters. There was one other magazine that had a big article in August 1978 called Dr. Who comes to America and dealt with the 72 Jon Pertwee episodes being offered (just before the Tom Baker package was released).

By 1979 we had the Pinnacle books coming out but between that and Jelly Babies I don't remember any US produced Dr. Who Merchandise at the time.

Dec 3 1979 Tom Baker, Graham Williams and Terrance Dicks came to Los Angeles and I bought my first proper Target Books and then the new Marvel Dr. Who Weekly which was an import.

Getting that kind of merchandise even as a 16 year old with a newly minted California Drivers license was a royal pain in the ass but at least I cold get to comic book stores.

The early 80's saw more imported merchandise at conventions, cabbage patch 4th Doctor dolls, photographs, photo buttons and the lot. We had a comic book store in Eagle Rock California that carried every new Target book and Dr. Who Magazine as soon as it was released.

Eventually after joining the Navy in 1986 and getting assigned to the US Naval Station in the Philippines I remember having to order Dr. Who Magazine by international airmail from the United Kingdom and a subscription was very expensive, I also had one source a company called John Fitton Books and Magazines which was my only source (no comic book shops in the Philippines) where I was able to import the BBC PAL VHS and TArget paperbacks regularly. What a pain they had to be flown from Scotland to London to the US Navy Fleet Post Offic in San Francisco and then forwarded to Manila and then trucked across the country only to then be subjected to Philippine Customs if they so choose to inspect.

1990 took me to San Diego where at long last I was able to purchase the Virgin New Adventures in a US book store with out having to mail order them. But other stuff like VHS and CD's were still something you had to order from internationally as the series was off the air interest and stores carrying merchandise in San Diego did not carry much Dr. Who (the series having never aired there).

By the mid 90's I had a mate in a Los Angeles local group who owned a science fiction book store and I could have the newest books and magazines shipped to me onboard the USS Nimitz any where in the world.

To cap it off this Whovian was so happy when the internet was created. Without it I would be a millionaire in steading of being able to order at the click of a button, VHS, DVD, Blue Ray, Magazines, books comics and so on.

So my hat off to you Keith for all you have done for North American and world wide Dr. Who fans during the lean years, with out you interest would have faded.

Bob
Back to top Go down

WhoNA featured on SyFy.com's Geek Road Trip!
Page 1 of 1