16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Again, I only heard about it initially because I did a search for Doctor Who on our supplier's website so I could get an order built. I saw the first season listed over a month ago, but no picture on the site of the cover. We get the Warner emails where they announce upcoming DVD and Blu-Rays and it was not listed until this week. So, no artwork and no announcement prior to this week makes me wonder what they are referring to. Now Shada is an entirely different story, so they could be referring to that one.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 2:41 pm

@BOB1963, I plan to purchase this and compare it. I will swiftly write a review and post it on this thread:) I have 2 flat screens and multiple players so I can watch simultaneously.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 5:15 pm

I to have multiple PAL Blue Rays with flat screens and have retained one Standard Definition Flat Screen TV as well so I can compare when and if the time comes.

I have a friend in the USA who have pre ordered the set from the UK and the Recommended Retail Price including international shipping to Michigan was $51 US Dollars. So it also makes me wonder why the disparity in price between the US and UK for the same item. Usually importing stuff from the UK costs me more?
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:41 am

Quote :
50i, the i being for interlaced? That's too bad, as progressive would look better

Er, no it wouldn't. The show originated on interlaced video, so converting it to progressive would not be an upgrade. Progressive is really only better when we're talking about shot-on-film. This is shot-on-tape.

Also, if they made it progressive, that would mean a conversion to 24fps rather than 60i, which would result in a 4% slower soundtrack, unless pitch correction were added (and even then, the music would probably still sound 'off').

Believe me, interlaced is the way to go here.

Quote :
A non-restoration team member indicated they would be in 50i (50 frames per second interlaced) for the UK market.  So now the only question is how will the discs be modified for the US market since I guess we use 60i as our default frame rate for Blu-Ray.  I guess that's where Region A could get a mixed up conversion and where we sometimes complain about shows running fast and needing pitch correction?

Steve Roberts (RT member) has said they'll be in 50i for the UK market and 60i for the US market, and they will be working from the original 50i elements, so this is the best-possible release it can be. As I explain above, a 60i conversion will not result in a slow-down. That only happens if you convert 50i material to progressive (24fps).

The complaints about something running "fast" is when American filmed stuff (24fps) is converted to 50hz for UK release in PAL, back in the days of VHS tape and DVDs (before blu-ray came along). The phenomenon is called "PAL speedup."

The opposite is true when 25fps film (not cinema films, but filmed material for British TV) or 50i video is converted to 24fps for the US/international market. This results in the picture running 4% slower than it should. A prime example of this is the HD seasons of Doc Martin on blu-ray and Public Television broadcasts. They did not pitch-correct the soundtrack and it sounds bloody awful!
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:46 am

Heads up, US fans! What they've been saying about the BBC keeping an eye on the US sales figures is definitely true. Here's a direct quote from Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team (the people who are actually doing the work on this release):

Quote :
This is a bit of a heads-up for US fans... There's now a confirmed release date of 26th of June in the States. It would be incredibly helpful if you could get your pre-orders in (it's on Amazon already, I imagine it's also on other retail sites) sooner rather than later. America is a really big linchpin in the future of this Blu-ray range, so strong pre-order sales will help create confidence in the range and encourage early commissioning of the next set. Spread the word!

If you really want this (and want the range to continue past this first boxset), then you really should go ahead and order, rather than waiting to see if more sets are released. If you play the "chicken and egg" game with them, the range may die before it ever starts.

Some people have asked "why is the US market considered so important"? Maye it's because they've allowed so many stories to go OOP on DVD, that there should, naturally, be more of a demand for these stories in the US than in the UK (where all stories remain in-print to this day).
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 am

Out of respect when I posted above did not mention the name of the person who said it was important for the US Market when I posted above.  I also did not out of respects for WHONA who runs this forum mention the name of the retailer who will ship to the USA for well below what the suggested USA retail price

All the DVDs are still available in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.

Its the Nu Who fans responsibility to pre order these Blue Ray releases and not the Classic series Who fans who having ben buying them on VHS since oh say 1985 and on DVD since oh say 1999.

If the Nu Who fans did not pick up DVDs when they came out in the USA its their fault.  Don't expect Classic series fans to buy it a 5th time (Ark in Space) as an example.

Let Nu Who fan buy this release if they don't have the story's on DVD or VHS already, I wont knock them for it and if I was 30 years younger and never had them before on DVD I would do it as well but to expect real fans (those of us who have supported the range since the 1980's to shell out for a 5th time) .

No disrespect meant to Nu Who fans who have discovered the Classic Series  but its time for YOU all to take over and purchase this load of crasppola / cow dung .  Who knows in 30 or 40 years time when I am 85 or 95  (I'm 54 now) and Blue Ray is as ancient as VHS and Betamax  is now you will understand when the BBC asks you to buy it a 7th or 8th time.

I have many mates in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand not to mention the United Kingdom who have said enough is enough . . .
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:40 am

Please note that when I posted the Recommended Retail, that is NOT what everyone will likely sell it at. That was simply a reference point.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Who North America wrote:
Please note that when I posted the Recommended Retail, that is NOT what everyone will likely sell it at. That was simply a reference point.
. I generally love this store as it brings all things "Who related" into one convenient store, often I will find an item here or there at a lower price but out of thanks will purchase strictly from who north. And most the time this site has lower prices or fair with competitive pricing. If anything I want is not at this store then I will ask for it first before shopping elsewhere. Everyone reading this can shop where they want but if this box set is cheaper elsewhere I'm still buying it here. Even if Keith puts $90 on it:) still cheaper than individual stories:) way cooler packaging, Bluray, condensed to save space on a shelf.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

I agree I have bought a lot of stuff here over the years from Product Enterprise Space 1999 Eagles,, BBC Books, Big Finish CDs , Magazine's and of course Character Options 5 inch figures. I even started to collect Eaglemoss figurine's threw WHONA before they stopped being available to them

But I like most people are not a millionaires and I have to shop around to get the best value. Some times WHONA has the best prices and some times it does not. But that is like most business who are in business to make money and put food on the table to feed the children.

For those who can afford to pay any price to get what they want that is great it shows you have worked hard to be able to do that. But for many of us who have mortgage payment's, car payments, wife's who like shopping in Victoria's Secret we have to be thrifty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 pm

As for the interlaced comment I made, I was thinking about the jagged edge effect that shows up when a scene (camera angle) changes quickly from one to another, or there is fast motion. If the source material has that, then there is just no escaping it.

And if they were really concerned about preorders, they should have run with the season specific logo instead of foisting the 2018 one onto this set Wink
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Rogue wrote:
And if they were really concerned about preorders, they should have run with the season specific logo instead of foisting the 2018 one onto this set Wink

Unfortunately, that wasn't their choice to make. The new head of "branding" has decreed that all Doctor Who products heneforth must carry the "current" series logo. They intend Doctor Who to now be a single unified brand. No more splitting up "past Doctors" from "current Doctor."
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 am

Bob1963 wrote:
Out of respect when I posted above did not mention the name of the person who said it was important for the US Market when I posted above.

Steve did not post anonymously on Roobarb's, so I don't see why you would think it disrespectful to attribute a direct quote to the person who made it publicly.

Quote :
 I also did not out of respects for WHONA who runs this forum mention the name of the retailer who will ship to the USA for well below what the suggested USA retail price

When I posted this, I did not re-read the quote, so didn't think to strip that out of there. Regardless, I'm sure WhoNA didn't find it offensive, or they would have edited it. They know we know about "other' sources. As they said, most retailers (likely including WhoNA) will be selling below RRP.

Quote :
Its the Nu Who fans responsibility to pre order these Blue Ray releases and not the Classic series Who fans who having ben buying them on VHS since oh say 1985 and on DVD since oh say 1999.

Really? What about the New Series fans who have absolutely no interest in the old stories? You still think it's "their" responsibility?

I feel it is the responsibility of anyone out there who wants the best-possible picture quality out of the old stories. No one more, no one less. I've double, triple or quadruple-dipped on stuff before because I was such a fan (namely Space: 1999). No one forced me. Each time, I knew I was paying for something that was improved, so I got exactly what I paid for.

if you are fine with the DVDs, then that's good for you, but don't expect "new" fans to run out and buy this just because you feel bad about having bought them at least twice already.

Quote :
If the Nu Who fans did not pick up DVDs when they came out in the USA its their fault.  Don't expect Classic series fans to buy it a 5th time (Ark in Space) as an example.

If they didn't pick up the DVDs, don't you think it might have been because they either weren't interested, or were only interested in complete season sets?

I'm sure the BBC is counting on a great many old-time fans to buy them, moreso that younger fans. You certainly do not speak for everybody. On Roobarb's, for instance, there are many of the old-timers who are excited about this.

Quote :
Let Nu Who fan buy this release if they don't have the story's on DVD or VHS already, I wont knock them for it and if I was 30 years younger and never had them before on DVD I would do it as well but to expect real fans (those of us who have supported the range since the 1980's to shell out for a 5th time) .

I'm sure many other "real fans" would have the exact opposite feeling: that if you are a "real" Tom Baker fan, you should consider buying this, even if you already have the DVDs.

Quote :
No disrespect meant to Nu Who fans who have discovered the Classic Series  but its time for YOU all to take over and purchase this load of crasppola / cow dung

Clearly, you do not understand the product. This isn't just a reissue. It's improved picture quality (due to better compression and, for the US, coming from the original 625 line masters rather than 525 line conversions).

Again, if DVD is good enough for you (and, frankly, for me PAL DVD is good enough for me, at least for the foreseeable), then fair enough.
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 am

The only missed opportunity with this release that I am sure will divide people is the addition of feature length versions of the stories.

I first saw Who as episodic once a day Monday through Friday from WPTS, and that was great to keep me watching.

But then, I saw a feature length version of Invasion of Time one Sunday afternoon from WTTW and I LOVED IT! It was then that my family had moved back to Indiana and we were in the Chicago area PBS market. WTTW by that point broadcast the movie versions on Sunday nights. I don't feel you lose anything of the show when it is presented this way since the pace just keeps going.

With the increased space with Blu-Ray you can easily add this version to the set and give people the best of both worlds. Imagine being able to watch Genesis of the Daleks without some of the dragged out reprises from some of the episodes.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 am

The price of this has dropped to $52.59!!! Thats less than $10.00 a story! Best deal your likely to find on Doctor who as a whole, especially if the range lasts. I intend to purchase 2 copies in the hopes that the range continues. Hopefully the price drop isn't due to lack of sales.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm

If the price on this keeps dropping its one thing. A great thing for all fans who have never seen these story's before on DVD quality.

But I still stand by for those of us who have bought all the VHS and DVDs since the 1980's. I don't speak for every body that is 100% correct but there are many out there who wont re purchase just to get one or two additional features and a sound upgrade. And I have mates in the UK, Canada, new Zealand and Australia who feel the same way.

Now to be objectionable I don't know why or think its fair the BBC puts the pre order bit on American fans that is just not fair at all

You should see my current Doctor Who DVD shelf alone its massive. And the total cost investment was quite substantial going back to 1999 when I first got "The Five Doctors" on DVD.

I have no interest in the movie length versions I saw them as a 20 something in Los Angeles in the early 1980. BBC video issued many story's in the 80's omnibus format. They dropped the format due to lack of popularity.

As for what ever logo they use on the boxes I really am not that concerned about it. I remember the when the Diamond Logo came out and was switched to the Neon logo and then the McCoy logo, then we went back to the Pertwee Logo while the DVDs used the Nu Who logo. I can accept a new logo. To me the logo its self is not that bad
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm

@ Bob1964, yeah, I spent like 6 grandish on doctor who Hartnell-Capaldi. Some special editions and what not. But strictly speaking this is an excellent deal for New comers... If the price stays at $60.00 x 26... $1,520 for all of classic who is cool.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:41 pm

$52.95 is much better priced for new comers that is for sure but if you know the BBC like I do they will charge less for the first season (20 episodes) then raise the price for the ones with 26 and 28 episodes respectfully.  Then one would expect they would cut the price for seasons  23-26 and for 1 - 6 but we all know the BBC.

A few years ago I gave away all my NTSC BBC / Playhouse / Fox Warner / VHS tapes to my daughters then boy friend rather than throw them in the trash, some I had never opened (having seen them on TV enough times) instead of tossing them in the trash.

I finally junked all my PAL BBC Video tapes 2 years ago cause I now had hem all on DVD.  I did save the covers from the UK versions as they came in plastic cases.

But now having all the Classic and Nu Who on DVD (and Blue Ray) from the 2009 Specials on ward I am honestly and fairly thinking how much $$$$$ I sent to the dumpster when you includes international postage into the cost of all those tapes over the years (1985-2003) that I was collecting the official BBC video's.

And I bought as they were released on both VHS and DVD I did not play "catch up".  

Factor that in with collecting the TARGET range starting in Dec 79, Doctor Who Weekly / Monthly / Magazine starting in 1980, Doctor Who Classic Comics starting in 1993 /The Virgin New Adventures / Missing Adventures / BBC Books starting in 1991,  Big Finish in 1999, Character Options in 2010 and now last but not least Eaglemoss a few years back.

I've invested tons in the show and its licensee's.

DVD is high quality and looks great on a HD TV up scaled.   IF the BBC want to over price the Blue Ray releases they can keep them, if there going to use common sense with the prices I may seriously consider taking some of them.  But one or two extra features and a fake 5.1 mix is not enough for one to spend $69 (original suggested retail price) on something I have in DVD quality already
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Bob, you obviously feel quite strongly about re-buying the same stories.  You have made that abundantly clear.  If you don't want to buy this set, that's fine.  DON'T BUY IT.  But please quit presuming to speak for anyone but yourself.

I bought the VHS releases when they started coming out.  Picked up "Revenge of the Cybermen" at the traveling exhibition in Chattanooga back in '86 as my first one.  When the DVDs started coming out, I was more than happy to replace my VHS collection with the superior quality and bonus features.  I have every intention of getting this set as well.

And in 15 or 20 years when they start releasing complete Doctor sets, I'll be picking those up as well.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 pm

I did not buy all of the DVDs that were released. I had every episode that I recorded on VHS from my PBS channel and dubbed most of them onto DVDs. I only bought my favorites. Having said that, this season was most of my favorites, so I bought them!! LOL. But I will still get these and sell or gift the DVDs to some younger fans I know.

As for the "pre-order threat", I will pre-order them when WHONA puts it up for pre-order!
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Go for it I am not forcing my opinion on you or any one else. I do know lots of people who do feel as I do though. . . .
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 pm

I had taped the shows off PBS back in the day. I even have a DVD dub of the pledge drive where I was on screen answering phones.

I then bought the commercial releases of ones I did not have from PBS, mostly the B/W era. I did start getting the DVD releases, but I was fortunate in that as well. I was a contributor to a toy site that was dedicated to the toys that started to get released after the return, and oddly enough, the owner of the site would receive Amazon credit but he is in the UK, and due to a quirk the credit was for Amazon USA, so as a "Thank You" for my efforts I had most of the DVD releases in that time gifted to me.

I did put up my season 12 DVDs last week to help pay for this set, and strangely enough The Revenge of the Cybermen sold for nearly $60.00! Shocked It was a later release and did not have anything too special about the extras on it, so I was surprised to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Some one obviously plugging a hole in there collection. Hope the rest of the season sold well for you as well. For $60 you pretty much paid for your Blue Ray set already
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
Some one obviously plugging a hole in there collection.  Hope the rest of the season sold well for you as well.  For $60 you pretty much paid for your Blue Ray set already

I still have Ark in Space and Sontaran Experiment, so will just bundle them together this next listing.

But yes, it was a good sale. I pretty much got the old list price for all the others.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:55 pm

Well you sold Robot, Genesis of the Daleks and The Revenge of the Cybermen. Three of the 5 from season 12 went to people plugging gaps in there collections, hopefully you will be able to off load the other two as well.

My biggest concern if I had R1 DVDs would be getting stuck with the odd story or two after selling off the bulk of the season
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Once I have the Blu set, then the leftovers could be gifted to people maybe just now discovering the show, although Ark has an omnibus version on it, so if that isn't transferred over, although I have read that everything from before will be, I can at least have it for that alone.
Back to top Go down

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next