16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I can not wait for the 2nd season of Tom Baker...I wonder how many sets after Davison's season 19 I'm gonna have to wait. I sure hope they focus on The 3rd, 4th, and 5th doctor's first and then move on to 6th and 7th after. Maybe even just do the complete Colin Baker years as a single set
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I get a feeling that Key To Time will be in the next couple years, although with Mary Tamm having passed on, it won't have too much as far as anything new. With Graham Williams, and Anthony Read and David Fisher gone as well, it would only be Tom and John Leeson.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 7:59 pm

I have heard that Season 10 is due out after 19. I find it odd that it isn't Pertwee's 1st season but hey it has some great stories. Perhaps they are taking their time on harder to restore episodes. Would love to donate funds to this endeavor.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Well Pertwee's first season (season 7 overall) would be a tough one to do.

Apart from Spearhead from Space, which has already been released on Blu-ray, the other serials have all had issues with recovery and restoration to begin with.  The film copies recovered for Silurians, Ambassadors, and Inferno all have had to have had their color restored to them either by the chromadot  procedure or direct colorization techniques...so what film "master negative" could you use to upgrade to hi-def with?  Best of my recollection, the original source material, nor much of the original color film episodes, does not exist for much of those three serials (but not all). Remember that the black and white film copy used to restore them from are already filmed copies of the videotaped programs...which would still have to recolorized IF they could even upgrade them to hi def.

So that would be a tough road to hoe.  Maybe further on down the line.
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

I would only do his season with Sarah Jane.
Other than that, I don't feel I "need" them.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 1:03 am

Jon Pertwee's first season can be easily updated to HD if the BBC Choose to. The only problem is then you have the factor of non HD material being released in an HD format.

You have the original film negatives for "The Silurian's, Ambassadors of Death and Inferno so that part is no problem. For the color you can use the RSC technique which was used on the special edition of "Inferno" which is a vast improvement on the first DVD (I have both in PAL format) and when you compare them side by side the difference is quite a bit. For "The Silurian's" you have to over lay the NTSC Betamax recording and animate the bits that were missing from the Betamax recording.

For The Ambassadors of Death you have to do the same things overlay the usable Betamax recordings on episode's 2-7 as was done on the original VHS release. Then you have to do the chroma dot recovery on the rest of the story (as was done on the DVD release) and then you would need to do some animation to fix spots.

it will work but it wont be perfect. I dare say "The Silurians" would benefit the most as it was released on DVD before the chroma dot recovery method came into play
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 am

The reason they're releasing Season 10 as the first Pertwee release is that it's the season with the least amount of problematic episodes (just that third episode of "Planet of the Daleks" that was professionally colourised by Legend in the US and also chroma dot-recoved in the UK).

All the other seasons (except season 11) have a larger number of "problem" episodes that would require more time/work to show any real improvements over the DVDs. Although Season 11 also contains just one "bad" episode (Invasion 1), that episode's colour restoration is very poor compared to "Planet 3".

So, Season 10 is the one requiring the least work and also, the one that they could get out quickest, allowing them more time to work on the other episodes.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 2:00 am

The weakest episodes from season 10 are "Frontier in Space" episodes 1,2,3 & 6. The PAL masters are the copies that were sent to ABC-TV in Sydney back in 1974. Even so there still very high PAL quality.

Season's 11 other problem would probably be "Death to the Daleks" episode 1 which while existing in PAL is not the original 2 inch quad. Other wise Seasons 10 and 11 are pretty easy compared to season's 7 8 and 9
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 am

It just occurred to me that after the announcement of season 18's soon arrival, that me not knowing the release order or the release schedule has had an effect on my anticipation to the point of me feeling like a kid awaiting Christmas only instead of Once a year Christmas it is now Random Christmas 3-4 times a year! It is so awesome...
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2018 8:43 am

I saw someone say Season 10 is in the works. Though I wonder if that was a typo for 20.

I can't see them not finishing out Davison with only two seasons before diving into others while one Tom Baker a year carries the rest.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Whooz wrote:
I got this in the mail this morning, and I just played Sontaran Experiment and the audio is fine now.  Next to try the Revenge disc, but those defects are less noticeable.

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 Replac10

Grr, I'm still waiting for my replacement discs. Requested back at the end of September, got a confirming e-mail 2 weeks later, but still haven't seen a thing. There must have been a second batch of replacement discs. Or mine went missing in the mail. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

I emailed them a week or so ago and they mentioned there was an issue with some of the replacement discs and that mine should be in the mail shortly.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Discs requested Sept 26. Disks delivered Dec 10.

Yay! Just in case anyone else is wondering how long it's going to take.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm

And there are mine!
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 11:40 am

Looking forward to more Tom Baker, but I wonder if during the classic Doctor releases they will do something extra special for Paul McGann? Instead of filming new extras, they should do 13 mock trailers to the 8th Doctor's 1st season:) get him back onto the studio and shoot 2-2.5 min episodic trailers of what could have been. For fun they could throw in a Paul meets River and Capt. Jack, a Master with Jacobi trailer, and an 8th meets 9th two doctors cross over. Make it fun and ridiculous. Maybe even throw in Rowan or something;) or a Clara cameo.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 11:46 am

... actually, I really wish the BBC would just give the U.S. the rights to do an 8th Doctor series for 3 years either as Canon or even set in an alternate universe where they go with all the nonsense they originally intended like searching for his dad and the master being his brother...just for something different...at they end they could do a cross over with the real Doctor who universe
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm

Is there a visual difference between the 12th series rerelease Blu-ray set with fixed error discs versus the original release???
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 11:38 pm

In the USA, yes, the replacement discs are slightly different. There is a different serial number around the hub. But that's the only difference on the outside of the discs. So far I think the corrected discs only come as replacements. I've not heard of a fresh Region A pressing with the corrected discs included.

What's the different serial number? Good question. I really should make sure I've got the new ones in my case.

In the UK, it sounds like Amazon.co.uk screwed up and sent out Season 12-2nd printing with the Season 10 artwork on all the discs. Ooops. But the only way to get that is to mail overseas for the Region B set. So those are easy to spot since they've got Pertwee's face on them.
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 12:08 am

I 'think' I have a spare set of replacement discs for season 12.

If your disc for Sontaran Experiment has the sound 'reversed' then you have a bad set.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm

Whooz wrote:
I 'think' I have a spare set of replacement discs for season 12.

If your disc for Sontaran Experiment has the sound 'reversed' then you have a bad set.
how much you want for your replacement discs?
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 pm

I need to pop them in and see if they are the correct ones. I got some for another season also, and forgot which. I would have just thrown out the bad ones I am sure, but will check later tonight. I work all week, yeah, the first time I have been grateful to say that, but will be in touch Winter.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 9:25 pm

I hope future releases of Doctor who are not affected by all of this Covid 19 nonsense. Sad
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 pm

I am not ordering anything from Amazon until this is over in support of my fellow "essential" workers that are NOT being supported by their employers, mine included.

I am a full timer my hours are guaranteed, but the part timers have been laid off, so I have to go to work because I live in Indiana, and Covid or no, we are an "at will" state and I can be fired for refusing to come in regardless of how unsafe the work environment is.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Hope your job stays intact, and the economy bounces back.
Back to top Go down

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8