16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptySun May 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 Img_2025
View with spine from an official B.B.C. site. (Still searching for the backcover)
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 8:51 am

one should also note, however, that this is just a placeholder image. That shot of the "plastic case" may just be a template that the Tom Baker art is just dropped into, so I'd probably wait until someone sees an actual shot of the package.

That being said, it's not unusual for the US to get different packaging than the UK on BBC titles. Particularly classic Doctor Who, where the show is considered much more of a "fringe" and "cult" show than in the UK (where it's surely expected to sell many more copies than in the US).

i'm surprised more people aren't complaining that the US art is saying "Season One" rather than "Season 12" (yes, I know it's referring to Tom's first season, but knowing how fans are, figured there'd be some people upset about this).
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 9:38 am

amckinney wrote:
one should also note, however, that this is just a placeholder image. That shot of the "plastic case" may just be a template that the Tom Baker art is just dropped into, so I'd probably wait until someone sees an actual shot of the package.

That being said, it's not unusual for the US to get different packaging than the UK on BBC titles. Particularly classic Doctor Who, where the show is considered much more of a "fringe" and "cult" show than in the UK (where it's surely expected to sell many more copies than in the US).

i'm surprised more people aren't complaining that the US art is saying "Season One" rather than "Season 12" (yes, I know it's referring to Tom's first season, but knowing how fans are, figured there'd be some people upset about this).
BBC shop.com actually emailed and said that the previous image is the final product. So unless someone working there has posted what they think rather than what actually is using the official site then I'm trusting the email. This late in the game with a release of June 19th, the packaging should already be well into production all ready.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 10:31 am

Here's a quick not about compatibility of the UK set:

Quote :
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but a post from Mr Steve Roberts on GB says that the release is not region locked.

So, the UK set will play on US equipment, providing the US equipment can handle an 1080i/50 image, which is a very important consideration to take into account.

If you've imported the UK blu-ray sets from series 5 forward, you should be okay. If not, you'd better evaluate both your TV and BR player first (or just buy the US set).
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 11:33 am

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 Screen17 here is another source
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyTue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

For those who want to see what the UK package is going to look like....

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 91K2c7DdoiL._SL1500_

Note that the front of the box doesn't appear to have any text on it. That likely means that there is also probably a clear plastic "O-ring" that goes around the whole box, that has the show logo, text, etc. printed on it, so the art of Tom can show through, but when you take it off, you see the "clean" artwork. An O-ring would also help hold things together.

An example of this type of O-ring is the original DVD release of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century several years ago.

Since the US didn't get the production notes leaflets in their DVD (or VHS) releases, I'm willing to bet that they won't get that printed episode guidebook with this, either. If for no other reason, there's no way it would fit in a standard 14mm case along with the discs themselves.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyTue May 22, 2018 3:04 pm

And now I'm buying both😍
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyThu May 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Anyone hear anymore on Pertwee's first season ? Wonder if that will indeed be next if sales of Tom's box set sells well, or if they will complete Tom and then release Jon.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 12:29 am

Looks like a nice set. Yes the last few blue rays of Nu Who going back to at least the first Matt Smith season as well as Torchwood all play on US sets.

No idea how this will affect the encoding for the US release though or how it will look on an NTSC screen. I will have to compare mine by watching it first on a PAL only HD BD player and TV then putting it on the NTSC only TV.

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly there was some negative feed back from views in the UK over the concessions that had to be made to make the Nu Who sets compatible with the USA.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Although the UK set will be compatible with both zones A an B (even if the packaging says "B"), these sets will be encoded at 50hz (1080i/50) to conform with the 50hz broadcast/electrical system in the former PAL countries.

The US set will be 1080i/60 to conform with the broadcast/electrics in the US/former NTSC countries. Although there are multi-sync TVs and players out there that can handle the native signals, and there also exist players that can convert the 50hz signal to 60, the majority of US televisions are 60hz only, so would require a "converting" player to work (which pretty much defeats the reason to get a 50hz release, because you're relying on a DVD player to do the conversion, rather than the professional conversion that the BBC will be doing themselves for the US release).

So, unless your player can feed the TV an unconverted 50hz signal and your TV can display a 50hz signal, then you will be much better off with the US release.

There are forums/threads on the internet that can help a person determine which US players can/can't deal with 50hz (and whether they can output it or not), but TVs are another matter. Some US TVs can display 50hz right out of the box (my Sharp Aquos sets are such ones, as well as my older Sony Bravia). Samsung and Panasonic are notorious for not being able to handle it.

When I bought my HDTVs, I took my Oppo player with me to the store and asked them to let me hook it up to test compatibility. That's how I selected my TV (and how I saw which brands worked or not), and IMO, such real-life testing is about the only way you can be sure, unless you want to spend the extra bucks on an imported multi-system TV and player from one of the "220volts"/multi-system retailers (their stuff works, but is more expensive than off-the-shelf US products and won't have a US warranty).

Sorry this is so lengthy, but unless you've done all your homework, you should probably stick to the US set to avoid potential problems.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
I could be wrong but if I remember correctly there was some negative feed back from views in the UK over the concessions that had to be made to make the Nu Who sets compatible with the USA.

Those complaints originally regarded the releases of The Complete Specials and the first three series of Torchwood, then later came to include the upscaled blu-ray releases of Series 1 through 4.

In the case of The Specials and Torchwood Series 1-3, the complaint is that the UK didn't get 1080i/50 releases for those (which is how they were shot/broadcast). For most UK TV blu-ray releases, PAL countries get 1080i/50 (for best picture quality as that's how they were made) and other countries get a standards conversion (typically 1080i/60 in "olden" days, more often than not 24fps nowadays).

Instead of 1080i/50, they got the same as everyone else, a 1080i/60 standards conversion. This made it easy for US fans to import, but that meant UK fans didn't get the superior picture format that the had on broadcast.

This situation was since corrected beginning with Series 5. From there onward, the UK gets 1080i/50, while NTSC countries still get a standards conversion.

---

Flash forward a bit now. When the Series 1-4 blu-rays came out, the BBC reverted to their old trick of issuing an "NTSC-compatible" version for all regions, however instead of 1080i/60, they used 24fps. That type of conversion has the unfortunate consequence of making the picture (and sound) running 4% slower than it should (so the voices are lower-pitched than they should be, and the music sounds like it's in a different key). To compensate, the BBC did apply "pitch correction" to the soundtrack (so the voices sound normal), but apparently, pitch-correction cannot make the music sound exactly like it did before.

Now, why on earth would the BBC use 24fps instead of 1080/60 (which doesn't slow down the sound)? I really have no idea, unless it's the perceived "benefit" of progressive format vs interlaced. Since the show was shot interlaced, I see no benefit of converting it to progressive format. maybe that's something that US tv stations have requested, because I've seen a bunch of 24fps stuff on PBS in recent years (like season 6 onward of Doc Martin). Unfortunately, they don't always pitch-correct, and those seasons of Doc Martin sound absolutely horrid on PBS!

Once again, I also see no good reason why the UK couldn't have been given 50hz versions of those, unless it was just laziness on the BBC's part.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyFri May 25, 2018 8:06 pm

This is one reason apart from the David Tennant specials which had only one story upgraded to HD I did not go back and buy the earlier story's on Blue Ray as they look fine to me the way they were broadcast.

This also brings back a memory from the 1980's when BBC 1 was broadcasting Star Trek The Next Generation, after like 2 seasons Paramount switched and started distributing the series on video tape and they made the UK fans un happy as well.

Seems like the big studios never learn do they ?
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptySat May 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Well, I sure wish they would release a back cover image... I would assume the back repeats the front covers background or at least the spines silvery grey. The design layout unless entirely new would likely be similar to Shada and the 8th doctor's Blu-ray which would include a blue rectangular strip, 4 or 5 images of Doctor Who eps. In a row from edge to edge, A white font stating: Starring Tom Baker. Also a blue block containing the episode numbering as in classic disc releases as well as a episode title list, series synopsis, basic info, ratings, and brand logos... Other options might be similar to Nu-Who (unlikely choice), maybe a Tardis image or face image like in the interior of the U.K. version, or something like Spearhead in space Blu-ray. Super excited to see the new main menu! Hope it is as cool as Jon Pertwee's Blu-ray menu.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptySat May 26, 2018 11:42 pm

Winter wrote:
Anyone hear anymore on Pertwee's first season ? Wonder if that will indeed be next if sales of Tom's box set sells well, or if they will complete Tom and then release Jon.

I think Season 19 is supposed to be next (it has a lot of location film--all of which still esists-- so that makes it a good candidate for an upgrade).

After 12 and 19, it's been said that 18 would be next (as it's a precursor to 19), then 10. Who knows if that'll still be the case months from now, though.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Pre-order now.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 pm

After viewing Genesis in theatres, my judgement is that it was a visual improvement. Not HD great but I made mental note of specific moments and later gave the dvd a rewatch for comparison.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Still can't find a back cover image for this, it's quite maddening really..lol
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Items arrived and all pre-orders shipped.

Everyone who pre-ordered gets the cardboard slip-sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm

USA Release:

Okay, I opened a set. All the discs are the same art; nothing special, all similar to the blu-ray cover. Only a single leaflet inside the case with a list of what is on each disc.

Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Alright, I'm totally expecting fan reviews of the material. Would love to hear any and all thoughts on this Blu release. Mine should arrive tomorrow noonish.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm on a separate forum and several people have given their thoughts on the new Blu-ray set... And all of them agree that there is a noticeable difference from the dvd range. Everyone who posted praised the set as an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 15295212
Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 15295213 my camera phone does not do this menu justice, It is super cool! Computer animation of 4th Doctor era Tardis interior and console displayed as it pans from ceiling, across various panels, and a wide shot of console. As far as menus look, I give this a 5 out of 5 stars, Audio for robot I give a 4.5 out of 5 stars. Visuals for robot vary but looks better than it ever has! I'm talking all the way through. This looks 1 whole star better than the dvd version. As this and most Doctor who never looked great due to the source material, I must stress that this is definitely definitely better. If I were to compare this to the dvd as being 2.5-3.5 stars dvd then this Blu-ray version is a 3.5-4.5 stars! Metal robot glares at times but looks great to me anyway I'm seeing stuff I've never seen before all over the place. Color look fantastic! Contrast is fantastic! Sharpness amazingly occurs on occasion ( mostly softness of lines through out) but way tighter than the dvd and I've spotted leather grain in Sarah's car, wood grain on office table, textured materials worn by The Brig and Doctor. And facial details on actors faces ive never seen as well as close ups of Sarah that show hair strands... Other scenes are less detailed and I'm watching this on a 4k television so if you are playing this on a regular HD with Blu-Ray then it should look slightly better then mine. ( Granted my color gamut might be slightly better. Love! Absolutely Love having bought this set. Worth ever cent!
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 pm

One of the nice features is the inclusion of the "Tom Baker Years" material from the original VHS twin pack release.

This features Tom Baker reviewing clips from each of his televised stories. While some of the clips chosen are not my favorite, I always appreciated it for the fact that you can be reminded of every Tom Baker story IN SEQUENCE, and it's nice to see Tom's reactions to the stories.

Interestingly enough, the VHS material is COMPLETE, including the BBC alert that you may need to adjust the tracking on your VHS, lol.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 pm

The Ark In Space Review: the first scene with the doctor and crew isn't great, once the lights are turned on it starts getting good! Close up scenes really are great.(A few even reveal the pores of the faces of the crew) I am exceedingly impressed with the amount of love put into this release.The title sequence on all episodes have slight grain but look excellent. All throughout this episode you will see the quality of the work of the set builders. Materials and textures greatly magnified. The Wirrn and bubble wrap creatures look 50% better. Again I see so much more that I have never seen before... I am of the belief that they started from scratch with their Doctor who Archive rather than upscaling the DVDS as a straight transfer, I don't know about the rest of you but I would've dropped another $20.00 easily for this set knowing how well it looks.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 pm

I agree completely. This is the BEST you will ever get out of a video signal. It's fabulous!
Back to top Go down

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next