Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?

Go down 
+26
Indiana_Brian
Homshabom99
Rogue
Winter
doc272
Just Scott
mysterylad
Arlecchino
stanlow
Thun
AJinHarlan
tboneterry2
Scary
Bob1963
Invisible Supreme
Cruel Angel
Evil Monkey Pope
squishy
Krynoid
Ted47
Whooz
mattmanw54301
Ronpur
Ben C.
SeaDevil
thebreen
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
I feel the same way in the four hour since I woke up threw up my breakfast and chatted with friends from Australia to New Zealand I can confirm I am probably done with NEW WHO.  So far everyone in the USA who has watched the show since the 70's hates the decision.  My mate in Australia who I just spoke to is giving up on the  show after the Christmas Special.   Another mate in New Zealand says he will watch and wait and see.
Hopefully this is a one episode publicity stunt but some how I don't think so

I am born and raised in the USA and started watching on PBS in the 70's - even went to a mini convention at the local PBS station, WGBH and bought swag.

I don't hate the decision, and neither does my wife or kids. I am nervous though. I do think they've created a new writing minefield for the show where a little one way and it's lazy pandering, a little another way it masculinizes her in heavy-handed ways, a little another way it's overcompensatingly apologetic. If the writing is excellent and successfully avoids the minefields, it should be just as balanced as the show has always been. But in the current climate, everything is boiled down to identity (politics) and therefore the writing has just become 10x harder. If they pull it off it could be one of the best runs in years and could revitalize the franchise. But threading that needle... I hope they've assembled an amazing team.

I'm hoping it is successful. If it's successful, we will get more Doctor Who in the future... Series 14, 15, 16, etc. If it's not, we could be 'gifted' with a long... long... long 'hiatus'.
Back to top Go down
thebreen

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:06 pm

AND within hours of the announcement it's exactly as I feared...
The media is using it as a publicity gimmick to manufacture controversy and pit fans against one another. Disgusting. I don' f*ing appreciate fans being painted as mysoginists by the media and a bunch of Johnny-come-lately SJWs who don't even watch the show. This is just the BBC. I shudder to think of the trolling the US media will do. I am looking forward to see what Whittaker will bring to the role.... But THIS is what will ruin it for me before I even get to watch her in the role. not a female Doctor, not a new producer, but the inevitable BS that will surround it all.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40626224
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:22 pm

I don't think it's that big of a deal. The media over spins any story.

...the public has a short attention span. After the impact of Michael Jackson's Thriller fizzled out, MJ became the antithesis of cool. Then Bad came out and everyone was right back on the bandwagon.

People just like to complain...ahem, "be heard" . In a few years this will all be water under the bridge. "They" have finally chosen a female Doctor, now we can stop thinking / worrying about the idea and ponder instead on the stories that actor acted in, just the same way we have with all the other guys.

Now if "they" had cast the next Doctor as a gay crippled black muslim woman, then it would have been PC stunt casting.

I have always liked Jodie Whittaker and now I'll be getting a Big Chief figure of her, pretty cool!
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm

I meant every American fan that I new personally hates it male and female bar one who is excited for it.

Sadly the BBC is going for political correctness and that is there right as they own the show but if they want to chase away the long time viewers that is there prerogative.

I remember the last hiatus and perhaps now its time for a new one if this is the future. Sorry just my personal opinion and I am not forcing it on any one else.
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm

If Bill comes back (who I liked by the way) will she fall in love with the new Doctoress?
We've seen Rose and Martha do that so I hope they don't re-visit that again.
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:44 pm

True, it's not a big deal, and true it's the media spinning it that way, but that was rather my point. It's trolling, plain and simple. It doesn't matter when the media moves on to something else, because the seeds of animosity will have been sewn. Internet trolls are already piling on. I like to think most Doctor Who fans are a more open to new ideas... but I can't help but think about how ugly that Ghostbusters business got.
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 pm

If you subscribe to that theory that the Doctor's regenerations are in some way influenced by his companions... maybe.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

and then the Doctor can turn into Adric
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't know how she will be in the role. But if her first words are "darn, still not ginger" we should be on the right path. If Timelords are truly above such things as gender as they said in the last episode, then it should not even cross her mind as different. Except for the usual looking at the new face and complaining about it. Before falling in love with herself. Like they all do. "Eyebrows are an improvement." I could see her say that!
Back to top Go down
tboneterry2
tboneterry2

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 pm

This will kill the show, its a political statement which the BBC has in there article about this. They could have had a Romana spinoff series and it would be fantastic. I have not been A Missy fan, if they had made her the Rani that would have been fantastic. This is a huge reason they have been pushing away from the classic series to reboot the with the social messages they are really pushing in the UK. Polls are against this in the UK as well. This will kill Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

*their
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 pm

It won't kill Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm

As with all television, the ratings will be the final arbiter of the wisdom of this decision.
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 pm

I wonder what Peter Davison thinks? scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 am

Ill get used to the idea of not watching New Who For the last 4 series I have taken the series on delay (Meaning I wait for the Blue Ray to come out) at watch one episode a week in the off times. I will watch Peter's final series and the Christmas Special and then after that its Back to Big Finish exclusively like between 1999-2005. That ands the Third and Fourth Doctor comic books.

In fact I placed an order for the third and fourth Doctor comics from WHONA just a few minutes ago. Look forward to seeing them later on this week

Back to top Go down
tboneterry2
tboneterry2

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am

BBC news had 2 articles the announcement "Jodie Whitakker ; Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a women. Which the BBC lays out to why it's their political statement ( which they are heck bent on doing). The other article they ran "Was Doctor Who Rubbish in the 1980s" where they bash the 80s Doctor Who one line from that article "pleasing fans can leave you deaf to a wider audience" The politics the BBC is on they don't care if this is a failure, it's been clear they have not been big on the Classic fans (who pushed and waited for the show to come back). Chistopher Eccleston has said he left over politics and was not big on returning for the 50th I'm now getting the why on that. An actor that is Black or Asian would have been fun to watch as the Doctor, the gender change thing does not work. There have been great lady Timelords Romana & The Rani. They should have done a Romana spinoff you don't think that would not have been a hit with the fans and a boost for Doctor Who fans and others. I was seeing not having the older Doctors in the 50th as a sign they were going for political change soon. Missy should have been the Rani that would have been wild. What message does this send with this casting is a women has to have a man's role because they can't do it on their own that's the message. Classic Doctor Who that's not the message Lady Timelords are great on their own.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 1:58 pm

The BBC can go stuff them selves, they want to attract the transgender / sex change operation crowd that is there prerogative The yu want to have gay or lesbian companions that is all there choice Why does it matter what the companions sexual orientation is. A companion is a companion. No where in the past 50 years did it matter what the companions sexual orientation was.

Good luck to the BBC with its new show I hope it sinks faster than the titanic
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm

...and it didn't matter when it came to Capt. Jack or Bill or any other character since 2005 that was.  Nothing was ever made of these characters' sexual orientations and it was never all in-your-face about it.  It just...was.

I'm holding out hope that with the change in the Doctor, it also wont matter within the storytelling.  All we have to do is wait and see how it all plays out.

This is science fiction after all...and the Doctor is an alien who we have known since 1966 can change appearance and regenerate...or as it was called then, "renewed."

I freely admit I have always been skeptical about a gender change for the Doctor, but I'm gonna stay open minded about it and wait until I see what she does in the role.  A great actor/actress can make all the difference.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Sorry on this subject I am closed minded of changing he lead role of a character that was played by a man as a man for 50 years. Heck when RTD brought the series back in 2005 he stressed when explaining its not a re boot "Its the SAME MAN"

As for Captain Jack on Torchwood he was openly gay but on Doctor Who he played it for the most part like a normal companion when we had the cross over episode's we did not have the wild sex scenes on the Doctor Who set that was confined to TORCHWOOD and after 3 series the BBC cut back and eventually cancelled it. You would expect to see Captain Jack come back if this going to be the BBC policy.

I have been on the fence about walking away for several series now. Notably the Mat Smith nude scene was one that was totally unnecessary. \"naughty word\" ib classic who the closest we came to a nude companion was Peri and Turlough swimming in Planet of Fire.

As I have said before I have nothing against the actress if I was unemployed and got asked to play Wonder woman I would do it as its a job and I like to eat.

But Steven and Chris have ruined things for me. I know many who will still watch admit that they have hope things will get better.

At least we still have Big Finish / Titan Comic and Eaglemoss, who needs New Who.
Back to top Go down
AJinHarlan
AJinHarlan

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2013-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

I think the media turning fans against one another and making anyone, ANYONE who isn't onboard 100% with a female Doctor is a sexist meanie, is HORRIBLE! People assume that because I am a woman that I will automatically jump for joy and leap over the moon because the Doctor is a woman. No, I have not and like all regenerations except for 12, I still remain uncertain. I think this whole push for women to take over a man's position is dangerous as it can strain emotions and make people leave a fandom that they'd otherwise enjoy without the politics getting in the way.

I'm not sure how I feel. I think the actress is gorgeous and I really really REALLY hope that the writers do a good job with a Time Lady. Still, I think it would have been better to have their own character rather than a taking over. In my opinion, having her as the Doctor could help revitalize the show and keep it going or it could send it into hiatus. I'm hoping for the best because I love Doctor Who and the spirit of it. Plus, writing fanfic could be fun as I would totally have that Doctor find Jack and go on fun adventures causing all sorts of mischief. If she turns into a stereotype, I won't stick around long because that was the one thing that really really upset me with Gwen.

I wanted to love Gwen but it became a regular occurring thing for her to turn against other women, even when Ianto was unwittingly turned into a woman, and had her a raging jealous female. That was an AWFUL flaw to give an otherwise fabulous character. You don't just make a "strong" female character by having her be awful to other women and "slap down the men". So you know, I'm hoping it doesn't become this way with our Time Lady.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Well, I have been processing this news for a while. At first, I was shocked and surprised. I had no idea who Jodie was. I figured it would be one of the bigger names like Atwell who would be the first woman Doctor. And I am really glad it wasn't. I like relative unknowns in the role.

But after reading reactions from those like David Tennant who has worked with her, I am encouraged that she will do great. I hope we get some amazing scripts, because she will have to be better than every Doctor before her, because she will be even more harshly judged. And that is sad.

I am searching out her past performances and looking forward to knowing her.

I am hoping that her first words will be "darn, still not ginger." and then make a comment about the eyebrows being a bit calmer now. Then move on like it is no big deal to the Doctor. It isn't a big deal to a Timelord, which we now know.

Anyway, best of luck to "Lucky 13". I know Verity would be proud!!
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 pm

I just got off an extended row with a fan on Facebook. Turns out cause I don't think the companions sexuality should be the focus of every show I am an evil old person. The I was told how Dr. Who his discriminated against black Asian /gay / lesbian actors and now the BBC is correcting the mistakes of the past

Sorry we dont need to know the sexuality of every companion and need to see sex on Dr. Who. Then after she told me she wants to see more sexuality on Doctor Who I told her I was happily to have sex with my wife and simply enjoy the show.

Silence is golden
Back to top Go down
tboneterry2
tboneterry2

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am

A lot of things comeing out into the open about what a huge deal a huge female Doctor. New BBC article "Jodi Whitaker and other Sci Fi women breaking the Glass ceiling" (These people don't get it and have not been watching Doctor Who or Sci Fi Romana, The Rani, CW Supergirl, there next goal stated in this article is James Bond). Fake news is a huge problem here in the states and watching the BBC coverage about this , why everybody is so excited about this, it's the best thing since sliced bread Doctor Who Apprecitaion socity poll about this is Dissapointed is in the lead. That does not matter this is a political decision, this is not about the Doctor Who fans at all (it's that wider audience). Unlike the US the BBC is a huge monopoly and is run by the goverment, I learned a lot about the UK being a Doctor Who fan, in the UK there is no free TV you have to pay a liscense fee to watch, they have trucks driving around the UK like car parking meter with anntennas on them. If you were watching the BBC and did'nt pay the fee the trucks would show up at your door and give you a ticket. ( PBS wished they had that here). I talked to a lot of my Doctor Who friends last night and some of them are women, all were dissapointed about this choice and we all have been picking up BBC is not big on Doctor Who fans. I'm big on the toy side of Doctor Who and already posted on WHO N.A. forum site is an article where the BBC talks about it's liscense with Charecter Options there will be a push for 13th doctor figure (I will pass on that one). It's amazing to watch but not surprising the BBC push away the classic Doctor Who fans, what's out in the open now it's for political issues. Unlike here in the US, in the UK there is no push back BBC is in control of TV.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I had this post deleted off of Gallifrey base. I posted like 4 am eastern time. Apparently if you don't like the choice of actress your posts are removed. It was also my first post since 2013 there.

I have not been here since The missing episodes saga in 2013 but Sunday announcement got me to pop in. Having watched Dr. Who since July 1975 (Silurians Episode one in Color in Los Angles at age 12) I have seen the series slowly spiral down hill in its re boot notably starting after David Tennant left. Now I have come to the point were it is time for me to stop watching after the Christmas Special.

No disrespect to the actress meant in any way but Doctor Who has been a male character since 1963. No where it its history before has it been suggested that when a time lord or time lady regenerates he can change sex. I cant find any reference to it in classic Who or before Missy was introduced. It may have been mentioned in the Virgin New Adventure range but I cant remember (getting old here).

So I am one who will possibly watch the first episode and then give up on the current Doctor. I will still be fan and while I wont be watching I wont be walking away from the series that I love either. Ill still be listening to Big Finish as I have since it came out in 1999. Ill still read the Titan Comic Books and some of the other BBC / TARGET paperbacks series that I first started to collect in 1979.

But I need to rest my self from the series That the current BBC leadership have destroyed in my private opinion. By disagreeing with the choice of a woman to be the Doctor I have been accused (on Facebook groups not here) of being racist against woman, I have been accused of being against gay / /lesbian / transgender/ cause I don't think that sexuality needs to be part of the series. I mean did we ever have any scenes where Tegan caught Nyssa and Adric behind the food machine and ran to tell the Doctor. No we had good clean fun story's with lots of fun and adventure.

I have been accused of being biased against blacks and Asians cause I am used to the Doctor being a white male from the UK or Scotland

I know the current New Who fans think differently and want to spice things up but its not for me.

So I fade into the back ground. Now I wont say a bad word against Jody Whitaker, if I were unemployed and was offered the part of Wonder Woman I would take it cause I like to eat and pay bills as well as surf the net. But this new style of Doctor Who that Steven Moffat and Now Chris Chibnall are bringing is not for me.

I may be of the minority on line but please remember we in the minority make up part of the current ratings for the series as we still watch. Right now I can see the strategy is to get the shock out of the way as early as possible. Right now press interest is very high but that will fade over time. Perhaps the ratings will rise initially on her first episodes but if we get the same old story's the rating will drop off again. Time will tell. But losing 14% of the people who are currently watching because they disapprove (I got that number off of this forum) is not a good start to any Doctor.

Good luck to those who will continue on
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?    The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Steven Moffat is the Joel Schumacher of Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down

The New 13th Doctor - Time for a Time Lady?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next