AJinHarlan
Ronpur
bret_owen99
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Last edited by Whoosier on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Its been a while since I last posted anything here. For that matter, other than poking my head in once or twice & responding to a PM Whoosier sent me, I've hardly been around. It was a difficult year. Money got real tight real fast & I had to move from one apartment to another (different complexes just 300 yards or so apart, but saves me $250/mo; I started moving on Nov 23, immediately after the 50th aired). Mom had a hip replaced, but she also recovered real fast (walker was gone in 2 weeks; the cane was gone in under a month.

On the up side, my little niece made big leaps in reading last year. She went from struggling with very basic books to reading Little House in the Big Woods & The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt. She'll be starting 3rd grade next month. My older niece is going into her junior year in high school. Last year she took honours chem. It wasn't the easiest class she could take & she didn't do especially well. On the one hand, I'm happy she saw the class through, but I'm also concerned about what it'll do to her GPA. Next year she's taking AP English as well as honours anatomy. I think there was another AP or honours class on her schedule, too, perhaps history, but cannot recall. She seems to have managed to find a happy place between a busy social life & study.

The three of us (the nieces & I) have kept up on DW, naturally. I finally dug around, found when the station I originally started watching premiered it & calculated when I started watching. It was June 1981. I'm still playing catch-up on DW novels, but we've largely left the figures behind. There were a couple sets we've missed (but will perhaps invest in still), but when the scale changed from 5" all three of us were gutted. We gave CB a try, and CB failed, and my little niece gave the 3.75 scale a try, but, well ...

My own health has been a bother. My dose of pain killers for my diabetic neuropathy went up & will likely have to go up again (the constant pain is just simply draining). But on the plus side I dropped 21 pounds over the past 9 months, so, along with total consciousness on my deathbed, I have those going for me  Wink . I've also been dealing with a long streak of depression that started back the end of 2012 & got especially bad early in 2013. Either I'm getting used to it now, or maybe I'm coming out of it. Not sure which, though I'm obviously hoping its the latter.

Last time I was in, AJ was gone (glad to see you came back, GumballGirl). I'm very happy for the addition to your family JustScott, and also sad about your losses. You, too, Ironmac. I had to make the decision about our family dog when I was 18 & his cancer came back for the 3rd time in under a year. And, Whoosier, that is a gorgeous photo! Seriously beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 5:11 pm

Nice to see you back neogeo & thanks for the kind words!

Sorry that things aint been so rosy in your garden! Hopefully things are on the up for you?! Wink
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Thank you kindly, Scott. Things are more or less the same, but I also know there are a lot of people a lot worse off than I which helps keep things in perspective & my ego in check. While things could be better, they could also be a lot worse so <shrugs> be thankful for the good I say. Its anot a natural state for me (I'm a natural pessimist) but I'm always looking for balance. At least when I die I'll achieve total perspective, so I've got that going for me Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Last edited by Whoosier on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Hang in there, Whoosier.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Can't rain everyday Whoosier! Chin up & PM me anytime!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 pm

I have 2 t-shirt designs entered in WeLoveFine's The Mary Sue contest. It was a hassle getting these edited onto their templates, so it'd be nice to get them into the finals so I can win fortune & glory. To do so, I need you & your friends to give them both a 5 rating.
1. Create a free account with www.welovefine.com. If you have one already, skip to the next step.
2. Find my designs, Cork (https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=81&id_submit=33441) & The Meowy Sue (https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=81&id_submit=33421).
3. Click the giant blue 5 on the right.
That's it. You have until August 25, but you should rate them now so you don't forget. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 am

It is a very sad world we live in. A father would happily see his family go without something if it meant that he spend money selfishly on himself. It sickens me to think that this throw away attitude is condoned in certain circles & that those that speak against it have their voice dampened. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to spend money on myself, but only if I have it to spare & certainly not at the expense of my family's needs. I am not holier than thou but....you know....priorities & all that!

I think that perspectives have been lost somewhere & that their are too many heads buried in the sand - afraid to be seen as being a trouble maker for having an opinion that may go against the grain

I may not win father of the year but I can sure as sheet go to bed at night with a clear conscience!
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 pm

I don't think anyone is condoning it. I don't think I even recall anyone saying they would rather see their family starve than not buy a DW toy.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 pm

DW toys? I have no idea what you mean?? I was merely airing an opinion over something that has been grinding my gears. I cannot recall if it was actually about anyone in particular......................ahem!
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:26 pm

pixletwin wrote:
I don't think anyone is condoning it. I don't think I even recall anyone saying they would rather see their family starve than not buy a DW toy.

Well that particular someone did indeed make his family go without visiting family at Christmas in order to stay at his computer and order toys on WhoNA (his own words, not mine). I would not be surprised if this particular someone deprived his family of other things, too. I see absolutely every reason to call someone out on that. In all fairness, mind, starvation was never mentioned (by either party for that matter).
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 pm

I have no idea of who you speak of...................................................ahem!

That reminds me, I really must get a bottle of cough syrup for this troublesome cough of mine
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Scary wrote:
pixletwin wrote:

Well that particular someone did indeed make his family go without visiting family at Christmas in order to stay at his computer and order toys on WhoNA (his own words, not mine). I would not be surprised if this particular someone deprived his family of other things, too. I see absolutely every reason to call someone out on that. In all fairness, mind, starvation was never mentioned (by either party for that matter).

But what do you really know? You know some guy you will never meet said said something about something he may or may not have done with his family which may or may not actually exist.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:38 pm

pixletwin wrote:
Scary wrote:
pixletwin wrote:

But what do you really know? You know some guy you will never meet said said something about something he may or may not have done with his family which may or may not actually exist.

I'm just taking his word for it, because he's stating it as truth so that's how I'm treating it. You're right, it could be a pointless discussion, but what if it isn't?

bounce
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Still doesn't concern me. None of my business.

You have PM. Smile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm

pixletwin wrote:
Still doesn't concern me. None of my business.

Better is open rebuke than hidden love, IMO! bounce
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Congrats on your 9,000th post, Ronpur!!!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Blimey! King of posts! What happens when you hit 10,000, do you inherit the forum? Razz
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:25 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Congrats on your 9,000th post, Ronpur!!!   cheers 

Oh, it was the model updates I did today! Thanks!

And nothing changed when I hit 9000, Scary. I wonder what or if there is another change coming. What can you do beyond "The Doctor" anyway? The Guardians are taken, lol.
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 am

Ronpur wrote:
I wonder what or if there is another change coming.  What can you do beyond "The Doctor" anyway?  The Guardians are taken, lol.
\

"Tom Baker" obviously.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 1:39 am

So, I get a postcard saying I was chosen for jury duty. School starts next week and this is for the second week of classes, I had all summer to do this and they pick NOW to call me?  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Yeah, yeah, it is an honor to serve on a jury, but where I live most of the people who get in court are either guilty or pull some last minute plea deal. A lot of what goes on is penny-anty stuff. My summons is for a one day trial, which means it is something very trivial that a bench trial could take care of rather than a full jury.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 am

R.I.P. Sir Richard Attenborough. I have always admired his work, and also have a connection with him. He was born on the same die I was, (although 45 years earlier), and I just realized he died on the same day as my mother.

He has a connection with Doctor Who, he appeared in Brighton Rock with William Hartnell and also The Great Escape with William Russell.

I always thought he would have made an excellent Rassilon if given half the chance.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Off-Topic Thread   The Off-Topic Thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 am

Today's the last day to vote 5 for my shirts if you've not done so yet. Thank you!
Cork (https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=81&id_submit=33441) & The Meowy Sue (https://contest.welovefine.com/vote.php?id_contest=81&id_submit=33421)
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

The Off-Topic Thread
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next