Brain of Davros
pixletwin
Ronpur
Cruel Angel
SeaDevil
TinDogRory
Scary
14 posters

What was your favourite story of Series 8?
Deep Breath
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap0%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Into the Dalek
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap4%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Robot of Sherwood
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap7%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Listen
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap26%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 26% [ 7 ]
Time Heist
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap7%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
The Caretaker
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap4%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Kill the Moon
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap0%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Mummy on the Orient Express
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap26%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 26% [ 7 ]
Flatline
Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_lcap19%Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 19% [ 5 ]
Dark Water / Death in Heaven
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) Empty
PostSubject: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Overall for me, this has been the best series of episodes since Series 3. I only disliked one episode, 'Into the Forest of the Night'. Other than that, personally they've all been great.

However, there have been no stories plot-wise that have been 'WOW'. This series has nothing of the likes of 'Dalek', 'Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel', 'The Doctor's Wife', and other NuWho stories that stand out as great for me. But that being said, all bar one story in Series 8 have been 'Good!' IMO. I think that's mainly because the focus in this series has been more on the characters of the Doctor and Clara rather than the plots of each episode, which I'm not knocking at all.

Doctor-wise and companion-wise, this series has been phenomenal. The 12th Doctor is absolutely brilliant and has become my favourite NuWho Doctor, if not favourite overall (I've never been able to decide who my favourite Doctor is though Razz). There's really been a lot of emphasis on and development of his character, and he is so good. He's brutally honest, has a dry and sarcastic sense of humour, he's detached and alien from everyone else, he's seemingly uncaring and cold-hearted in his methods but it's merely for 'the greater good' - he does care, but he is willing to make brutal and seemingly dark decisions to get the best of the decision, surrendering to the fact that some people have to die in order to save the majority, and doesn't mourn the 'collateral damage' until whatever it is has been defeated. His character is quite complex and hard to get around, but in essence it's clear that he is loving and caring, but he is dark and harsh, too. I love it.

Clara now finally has a character. She has at times had some pretty unnecessarily whiny and annoying scenes, such as losing her crap at the end of 'Kill the Moon' and going a bit overboard by betraying the Doctor in 'Dark Water' (even though that was really cool to watch and very effective dramatically). However, she now has a character! She's a control-freak, she's bossy, she's flawed, but she's caring and friendly, too. Could we have said that about her in Series 7? We couldn't have said anything about her in Series 7! She merely existed, she had no depth at all. Series 8 has certainly changed that for the better.

So this series has definitely focused more on characters than plots. It's a shame that we haven't had any plots that have been overwhelmingly enjoyable, but I'm extremely thankful that after the characterless and empty second half of Series 7 we've got a lot of well needed and overdue characterisation. Now I hope that Series 9 finds a nice balance between good characterisation and fantastic plots.

That is not to say that the plots of this series' episodes have been bad. Couldn't be far from the truth. I think personally they've all been good and enjoyable concepts and nicely executed, I just don't think any of them are exceptionally brilliant. 'Time Heist' and 'Mummy on the Orient Express' are probably my favourites of the series in terms of plot. They were good stories, however they weren't anything exceptional like 'Dalek' IMO. But of no other series except Series 1 and 3 can I say that over 90% of the episodes were "good" and enjoyable. Usually in a series we have some good and some bad. So although the plots of the series are only "good" and not "fantastic," that's still a massive achievement.

Overall I think I'm going to vote for 'Time Heist' as my favourite story. It was a nice solid story that really shows off the 12th Doctor's character well, gets time-wimey-ness right for a change, and is effectively mysterious, fast-paced and exciting. This will probably stick out as one of my favourite 12th Doctor episodes.

I've really loved this series and it's restored both my hope in NuWho and also my love of watching Who. If Series 9 is like this, I will be very happy. I can't wait to see more of Capaldi as the Doctor, I really can't. Only about 40 days or so until Christmas day though! Very Happy

What's everyone else's thoughts on the series, the episodes, the Doctor, Clara, etc, as a whole? bounce

P.S The poll would only allow 10 options, so I had to remove one. I took out 'Into the Forest of the Night' as I thought it would be the least likely to receive votes anyway. If you were going to vote for that though, my apologies!

Last edited by Scary on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 pm

I think this has been the most consistently strong series of the show since Eccleston's run. (The first season of Matt Smith comes very close, too.) There was no out-and-out "Wow" episode, as you say Scary, but I really was enamored of many of the episodes.

Top three of the season: "Listen," "Mummy...," "Flatline" I loved "Dark Water/Death in Heaven" but it didn't get that close to the others. And then I settled on "Flatline."
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm

I've largely liked this season...certainly everything from "Listen" to "Flatline."

The rest was average to weak, with "Dark Water/Death in Heaven" going down as hugely disappointing and a story I'll probably rarely ever watch again....right up there with "The End of Time" as being among the worst since DW's return.

I also think Peter Capaldi is great.  I find in him a nice mix of elements of the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Seventh Doctors, personally.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Listen easily, because it was the ONLY one i liked.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I enjoyed all of them, but some more than others. Flatline and Mummy were my favorites, but I still enjoyed Forrest, despite the weird ending. Too bad the sister who returns at the end didn't become a cyberchild in the final. Robots of Sherwood was a fun romp, and I like what Into the Dalek did by setting up Rusty for a future ally of the Doctor. I grew to like Clara and Danny's relationship. And I like how Clara was trying to live both her lives, lying to both the Doctor and Danny. Even though it wasn't good for her to do that! I will miss Clara, far more than Amy or Rose. I hope we get more episodes I enjoy next season.
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Most consistet series since series one, for me. Forest was the only bummer. Best Moffat-run series hands down.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 am

It was Mummy and Robots for me.

Both had their problems but were the most enjoyable.

Mummy had a great Sci Fi mystery Who feel to it and I loved the
rivalry between Robin Hood and the Doctor.
Plus Tom Riley is on my other favorite show Davincis Demons where
he plays a Doctor Whoesque Leonardo Davinci.
If you guys haven't seen it yet I suggest you try to catch it.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

*Sigh*

This has been the most disappointing series of Doctor Who ever for me. The only episode I really enjoyed was "Robots of Sherwood." Every other episode just didn't grab me. Not that I don't like Capaldi, he's great, but I just haven't liked 11 of the 12 stories he's opened with. They've just run by with nothing for me to really latch onto. "Time of the Doctor" was pretty much the same for me, actually. It's like Moffat lost me after "Day of the Doctor."

I remember people theorizing Missy was a female Master after "Deep Breath," so when I saw it actually play out, it was, "Oh, okay, they were right."

I think it's time for Moffat to hand over the reins.
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 12:50 am

"Soilers?" Very Happy

I voted Flatline.  I liked this season overall, but it's a very different feel than, say, Series 2 or 4 (two of my favorites).  I do feel as though there is something missing from Who to make it more enjoyable.  (Yes, probably better storytelling.)  There's just this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that makes me think "something's just not right." But I do love Capaldi as the Doctor, and he can make a goofy story more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 8:28 pm

The pickings are VERY sparse this series so I'll go with Flatline.
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Why, oh why, won't the BBC get rid of Moffat before he completely destroys Doctor Who? He's already done irreparable damage. After this last trashing of the the show, I actually feel like giving up watching Doctor Who completely. Maybe the BBC wanted their own version of Joel Schumacher. Or J.J. Abrams. Blecchh. Mad Crying or Very sad Sad
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Man, I can't understand some of this hate of series 8. For me it was the best since Series 1 and with a few changes here and there would have been the best for me since Peter Davison.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:29 pm

As normal, opinions vary widely. Some episodes I liked best are hated by others and some I've abstained from watching a second time are others' favorites.

For me, I'd probably list (with favorite at top) the episodes as such:

Listen
Flatline
Mummy on the Orient Express
Into the Dalek
The Caretaker
Robot of Sherwood
Dark Water / Death in Heaven
Time Heist
Kill the Moon
Deep Breath

That said, Listen and Flatline were the only two I had no serious complaints about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:13 pm

It seems like it's been a very polarizing season.
Back to top Go down
Thun
Thun

Number of posts : 1301
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Honestly, for me it's not just Series 8 but the entire Moffat run. Emasculating The Master was the last straw. Mad
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Rogue wrote:
"Soilers?" Very Happy

LOL! Fixed! Definitely one of my best typos, I have to say... lol!

pixletwin wrote:
Man, I can't understand some of this hate of series 8. For me it was the best since Series 1 and with a few changes here and there would have been the best for me since Peter Davison.

Agreed, I really think this series has been ripe with good stories and characterisation. It's unfortunate that whilst one half are loving the series, the other half feel like they can't even watch the show again. Perhaps it's a glass half full / glass half empty thing? I dunno. At least most of us agree that Capaldi is the man!
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Rogue wrote:
There's just this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that makes me think "something's just not right."

This! That's how I've felt the whole series. Even with the episodes I really liked, something just felt off.

I really liked Listen, loved Robots, Mummy, and Flatline. The rest of the series just came up short for me.
Back to top Go down
Caretaker maine
Caretaker maine

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)   Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS) EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 pm

what did you think I'd pick haha, I liked them all
Back to top Go down

Series 8 Overview! (SPOILERS)
Page 1 of 1